LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Confused. White Spot ?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Confused. White Spot ?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Senor Bastardo 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Flutterbye
    Participant

Sorry if this is a stupid question. The light has just come on in the tank and I have checked the fish as normal but I have noticed tiny White spots on the bog wood, could this be White spot? I have checked all the fish and they don’t have any. I have upped the temperature but what should I do now? Treat the tank for White spot, take the wood out or wait to see what happens. Any advice is very welcome.

Kim

Eyrie
    Participant

White spot would appear on the fish themselves, and resembles grains of salt. So I suspect that what you’re seeing on the wood is a fungus which you can remove.

Increasing the tank temperature will reduce the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water, so remember to increase the surface disturbance using either the filter outlet or an airstone.

MatsP
    Participant

Do NOT treat your tank for whitespot. You could, in theory treat the tank for fungus, but it’s probably better for everyone involved to take the wood out, scrub it clean, and put it back in. If you can add something like a Bristlenose Pleco, Ancistrus sp., then that will keep it clean. But this generally only happens for the first couple of weeks fo the wood being in the tank, so taking it out and cleaning it will also work.

Avoid using medications when there isn’t a good need for it. Your fish aren’t ill (and the probably won’t make much of a difference to the fish themselves).

Mats

Flutterbye
    Participant

Thanks I didn’t want to pump the tank full of medicines if I didn’t need to. I have a BN Pleco and he is doing a really good job in the tank in fact he didn’t seem to be growing much so I have been adding more cucumber and melon than normal and introduced wafers and it seems to be growing at an alarming rate now lol. I will get the logs out tomorrow and give them a scrub and see if this helps. Thanks for the quick replies x

Bluedave
    Participant

yep, agree with the above comments – whip out the wood, give it a good scrub and pop it back – voila.

Nomad
    Participant

Unless it really gets out of control, I would just leave it alone. I have a log in my licorice gourami tank that looks like it has ice on it. It is just a normal fungal growth on the dead wood. There will be no harm to the fish and if you do remove and scrub it, it will just come back in about a week. Actually, it’ll be back as soon as you return the wood to the water, it’ll just take a week or so to become visible to the naked eye. As the softer outer wood decays a little and you get into harde wood, the fungal growth will disappear if it’s own accord.

I have noticed that tanks with Otocinclus tend to clear up this type of growth much faster. I don’t know if this holds true, or if the Otos eat the fungus, but it is just a quick observation…

You don’t mention what fish are in the tank, any chance they are eggs?

Nomad
    Participant

sorry about the doubled up post, don’t know what I did, it just popped up twice /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” />

Plaamoo
    Participant

^ I was thinking snail eggs?

MatsP
    Participant

QUOTE (plaamoo @ Aug 30 2010, 02:57 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    ^ I was thinking snail eggs?

Possible. If it’s “fluffy” white stuff, then it’s mould/fungus type stuff. If it’s like small grains of sand, possibly covered with slime, then it’s likely snail eggs. Either way, a good brush off will solve both of these [but snails will probably come back!]

Mats

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

Whit spots on bog wood sounds like snail eggs to me. But as MatsP said is it fluffy it´s fungus, snail eggs are rather symmetrical as well.

Nomad
    Participant

QUOTE (MatsP @ Aug 31 2010, 12:24 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Possible. If it’s “fluffy” white stuff, then it’s mould/fungus type stuff. If it’s like small grains of sand, possibly covered with slime, then it’s likely snail eggs. Either way, a good brush off will solve both of these [but snails will probably come back!]

Mats

Could also be unfertilised scatter spawn. Snail eggs tend to be contained in their gelsack.

Any chance of a photo?

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

QUOTE (Nomad @ Aug 30 2010, 05:46 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Could also be unfertilised scatter spawn. Snail eggs tend to be contained in their gelsack.

Any chance of a photo?

Not all snail eggs though, I bought some Neritina snail and they didn´t lay their eggs i a gelsack. Instead white spots started to turn up all over the tank. I didn´t make the connection at once since the snails I knew of lay their eggs, as you wrote, in gelsacks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.