LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Copella Nattereri Spawning.

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Copella Nattereri Spawning.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  andy rushworth 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

ste12000

These came in 6-7 weeks ago as Copella ‘red line’ i think they are C.nattereri but the genus is so confusing with little in the way of published material that its very difficult to get a 100% accurate ID on these fish!

Yesterday i set them up in a breeding tank and today while i was out they have spawned a small clutch of eggs on a artificial plant.. Im really pleased to get a early spawn but a bit disapointed to miss the action.

Heres a few pics.

Eggs on leaf(look carefully as they blend in very well!!)

Matt
    Keymaster

Those are interesting – C. nattereri usually has more than a single line of red spots on the flanks. Any idea where they originated from?

Colin
    Participant

Nice looking fish – The red line really sets them off

Ive had arnoldi in for a while and have had two spawns but both times the eggs have fungussed… any thoughts?

ste12000

QUOTE (Matt @ Oct 17 2011, 08:24 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Those are interesting – C. nattereri usually has more than a single line of red spots on the flanks. Any idea where they originated from?

Hi Matt, these are Peruvian, direct from Iquitos to Manchester airport where i collected them! These fish have been reclassified many times, current thought is that this species with a single red stripe is C.nattereri and the fish with multiple broken lines is C.meinkeni(often refered to as C.nattereri).. Toms done more research than me and i get most of my Id’s here.. http://apisto.sites.no/slekt.aspx?gruppeID=5

Finding concrete evidence on ID’ing these fish is like p***ing in the wind… Very difficult with the chance of embarresment < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice looking fish – The red line really sets them off

Ive had arnoldi in for a while and have had two spawns but both times the eggs have fungussed… any thoughts?

Hi Colin, good to speak again, not seen you around for ages. Hows things?

Luckily for me my arnoldi spawns are almost 100% fertile 99% of the time.. Its obviously a fertility problem, how old are the fish? what are they spawning on? i used to get poorer results when mine jumped to the cover glass, the gravity was a stronger pull and it seemed they always spent a second or so less when laying/fertilising the eggs than they do with my current method.

I now drop the water level a good 6 inches so stop them spawning on the coverglass, then utilise plastic/silk plants with removeable leaves, once i have a spawn(most days!) i remove the eggs along with the leaf and place them imersed in a 2 litre container where they hatch and live for the first 10 days while on paramecium.. Once on baby brineshrimp they are moved to a larger 5 litre container for a further week or so and then into a 20 litre filtered glass tank and eventually larger again as they outgrow it..A lot of work but a lot of fun and learning

Colin
    Participant

Doing fine here – just keeping really busy!

ste12000

A picture says 1000 words!!

This is the breeding tank.

The leaves are removed to here(underwater)

This is the larger tubs with 2 week old fry and my infusoria cultures above.

Colin
    Participant

cool, lets see how I get on trying it this way…

Colin
    Participant

Well, that seems to have worked a lot better – still some white eggs but the vast majority look well… /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

I used a Cheese Plant leaf (Monstera delicossa) about 8cm above the water level… too high?

cheers

andy rushworth
    Participant

Very interesting thread /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” />

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.