LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Crenuchus spilurus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Crenuchus spilurus

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Has anyone experience keeping or breeding this species? Almost all the available references state that it’s an aggressively territorial cave-spawner but I remember having them in at the shop once or twice and the males didn’t really seem to bother one another.

They also took dried food quite readily if I remember right.

oaken
    Participant

I’ve kept it for a short period (couple of months) but never bred it. Never experienced any aggression and they ate just about anything, including brine shrimp nauplii (which was quite funny considering the size of their mouths). They will also eat small fish at night, or at least they only disappeared at night. They usually just stand in one place all day long, pretty much. Mike Noren wrote an article about breeding them on his old website (which has been offline for a couple of years but he might still have the article).

I also seem to recall that Heiko Bleher has stated that Crenuchus spilurus has an infrared organ that they use at night?

Matt
    Keymaster

Cheers Gustav, maybe I’ll try contacting Mike then.

Think this species was considered unique in having infra-red vision for a period of time but it definitely isn’t the only one.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.