LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

CRS Shrimplets and Mini Ramshorn snails

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters CRS Shrimplets and Mini Ramshorn snails

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Plaamoo 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Ethantus
    Participant

My son (10 years old with Asperger’s, extremely smart!) decided that he wanted a shrimp tank instead of a fish tank for his Christmas present, so his father set about setting up a tank, and did a heck of a job. I am proud to announce the arrival of our first shrimplets, now about 2 weeks old. Also in that tank we have discovered what I initially thought were baby ramshorn, but now with some research have discovered that they are Mini Ramshorn snails (planorbis arnoldi). I believe the largest just laid a group of eggs, about eight or so, so I will update if they hatch.

On a quick note, does anyone know if an anti-planaria treatment would harm the snails (I also have gold flecked trumpet snails in there, but am not particularly worried about those as I can restock if something happens)? I’m thinking of taking out the bigger, and smaller one if I can find it, just to be on the safe side, but it would be nice if someone here knew.

Thanks! Pictures of the shrimplets and ramshorns are to follow.

BigTom
    Participant

I’ve successfully wiped out Planaria using flubendazole without any noticeable mortality in shrimp and pond snails. Couldn’t guarantee ramshorns would be ok simply because I haven’t tested it. 

Plaamoo
    Participant

I used flubendazole to wipe out pond snails in a few of my tanks. I’m surprised it didn’t bother yours Tom. Was this is the “bucket”? Maybe dosage? I used 1/4 tsp of 10% powder per 20 gallons of water.

BigTom
    Participant

@plaamoo said:
    I used flubendazole to wipe out pond snails in a few of my tanks. I’m surprised it didn’t bother yours Tom. Was this is the “bucket”? Maybe dosage? I used 1/4 tsp of 10% powder per 20 gallons of water.

Hah. Erm, I used 1ml per 50 litres of the 10% oral solution. I’m not caffeinated enough to do the maths for a comparison :p

In the Bucket and in a couple of nano tanks also. Normally required 2 doses a few days apart for planaria, one dose for hydra.

Plaamoo
    Participant

“I’m not caffeinated enough to do the maths for a comparison”

Laugh

According to the conversion chart I found      1 ml = .20 tsp

50l = 13.21 gal

Looks comparable. My guess would be that the organics in your tank 1. absorbed medication, and 2. provided shelter. When I killed off the pond snails in my tanks(or so I thought) they re-appeared a month or so later. I’m guessing that there were a few hidden deep in the substrate that survived.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.