LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Cryptic speciation reversal in the Etheostoma zonale (Teleostei: Percidae) species group

Home Forums Ichthyology Cryptic speciation reversal in the Etheostoma zonale (Teleostei: Percidae) species group

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Stefan 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Stefan

Cryptic speciation reversal in the Etheostoma zonale (Teleostei: Percidae) species group, with an examination of the effect of recombination and introgression on species tree inference

Available online 29 August 2013

In Press, Uncorrected ProofNote to users

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ympev.2013.08.014 

Stefan

I wonder if despite Etheostoma sp. cf. zonale is undergoing serious introgression and eventually be completely invaded by E. zonale, would ‘you’ still describe it a new species?

Matt
    Keymaster

The abstract mentions it’s already undergone ‘speciation reversal’ so where would the types come from?

BillT
    Participant

I like these issues of anastomosing phlyogenies, but I am curious about how they decide these are separate species or not.

It would seem to be by a degree of reproductive isolation. Complete isolation would not work or speciation reversal would not be possible so I am assuming there is some way to make a statistical decision on these things based on particular intorgressed genes on a background of diverged non-introgressed genes.

I feel I understand the way such a phylogeny is figured out but not where the particular species lines are drawn.

Stefan

@BillT said:
    I like these issues of anastomosing phlyogenies, but I am curious about how they decide these are separate species or not.

It would seem to be by a degree of reproductive isolation. Complete isolation would not work or speciation reversal would not be possible so I am assuming there is some way to make a statistical decision on these things based on particular intorgressed genes on a background of diverged non-introgressed genes.

I feel I understand the way such a phylogeny is figured out but not where the particular species lines are drawn.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. Perhaps there will be a fortcoming study surrounding this particular E. sp. cf. zonale material? As to where the specific species lines are drawn is always the question and surely depends on the species concept applied to any unit, and interpetation by the authors thereof.

They do test 2 hypotheses, if I’m not mistaken, and there is no longer reproductive isolation, but there might have been/probably was in the past (stream capture and so on).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.