LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Cryptocoryne Wendtii – Survival In Low Ph?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Cryptocoryne Wendtii – Survival In Low Ph?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dunc 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

dunc
    Keymaster

My wendtii seems to be shrivelling up and dying, for no apparent reason. It seemed to be thriving recently, until I started lowering the pH of the tank (it’s sitting at about 5.6, 5.7 atm).

Should it be able to survive at that pH, or is the acidity of the water killing it?

Sirkus

Tropica claim that it can survive down to 5.5pH but be aware this is the lower boundary so it may not do aswell as it would in slightly less acidic conditions.

dunc
    Keymaster

Nice one, cheers for that Kris.

I’ll try and get a shot of it later – maybe it’ll help diagnose the problem? The other plants seem to be ok..

Sirkus

does it look like its just turning to mush? if so, ive found that to be due to a lack of light and usually begins at the stem of the leaf then while still attached the rest of the leaf rots. a pic would obviously confirm this though.

dunc
    Keymaster

Here:

Almost looks like it’s melting. Surely it can’t be a lack of light – I was under the impression wendtii were low light requirement plants? They get at least 8 hours per day and are in direct sunlight from sunrise ’til sunset..

Attached files

Sirkus

I’ve seen that before but obviously i must be off the mark for the reason as yours is in what i would assume optimal conditions except for the pH according to tropica (eventhough its within safe limits). It may be a adaptive period, like when lillies shed leaves when they move? I think the only thing you can do is leave it to sort itself out or let it die and just replace the poor little thing.

dunc
    Keymaster

Aye that’s what I’ll do. Presumably I should be removing the dead leaves?

Sirkus

Might help a bit, i find the easiest way to get rid of rotten stuff on the bottom is a turkey baster, especially when its all faling apart.

Matt
    Keymaster

I agree with Kris’ second guess. I reckon the plant is just adapting to new water conditions. Didn’t you recently acidify the water in that tank mate? I’ve not kept crypts for a while, but have always found they die off like that when I first add them to my tanks. Sometimes it looks like the whole plant has died but a month or two later a bunch of new plants would show up. Imo they’re sensitive plants and do best when conditions are stable.

dunc
    Keymaster

Alright then I’ll just leave it be for time being, see how it goes. Yeah I’ve dropped the pH about two points over the past month.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.