LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Ctenops nobilis

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Ctenops nobilis

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

beta
    Participant

Had moved a couple of Ctenops brooders to a separate tank and finally spotted the fry yesterday. I have fed them on BBS today. Fingers crossed

Attached files

nuchal man
    Participant

Congrats on the spawn and those are some great pics, it’s not an easy fish to get fry from. Here are some bad photos of the ones I was working with at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago when I was interning there. The babies have an adorable color pattern.

Male

fry from one of our spawns

another bad photo of one of the fry

Colin
    Participant

Good pics none the less!

Stefan

Well done both of you!

They certainly represent an interesting ‘niche’ in labyrinths Colin!

Matt
    Keymaster

Brilliant.

beta
    Participant

Sam: Those are some excellent pics. Do you recall how many fry per spawn you got. I count less than 10 in my tank. What did you offer as a first food?

Matt: I keep mine in fairly hard water and the temp is around 28 C. I think we need to update the knowledge base article as I feel they are paternal mouth brooders. Maybe Sam can verify?

nuchal man
    Participant

They bred in a community 500 gallon asian community display. The water at the aquarium is from Lake Michigan and is about 7.6-7.8 pH and it’s very hard, pretty much liquid rock. There actually was an ich outbreak on the display and some salt was added to the tank. They spawned after a few water changes from this point.

Water temp was around 78-80F. I completely agree with Beta, they are a paternal mouthbrooder. I was surprised at the amount of fry the male was holding. He spit about 70, and they are pretty good size. First foods were baby brine shrimp and copeopods.

I found this species to be jumpers and I had issues with high levels of conspecific aggression, even in a 500.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks for the info guys, will make the necessary changes asap. Are both sexes aggressive towards one another?

nuchal man
    Participant

I didn’t see any difference in aggression between males and females. For such a fragile fish, they can be quite nasty to each other.

beta
    Participant

Only 3 survivors!
    Here is a video of one of them taken on my mobile cam.

Matt
    Keymaster

Oh no.

Matt
    Keymaster

Colin and others, what level of intraspecific aggression have you experienced with this species?

Colin
    Participant

A lot!

Once you get a dominant fish they keep harrying the rest of them, I have 6 in a tank now and you always have a dominant fish

BUT there are no injuries and no split fins, just chasing

Matt
    Keymaster

Is the alpha individual male or female Colin, or does it vary?

Colin
    Participant

I dont know how to sex them yet…. will keep an eye on the ones i am keeping though

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.