LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Cualac Tesselatus Breeding Project

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Cualac Tesselatus Breeding Project

This topic contains 39 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  pablito 6 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Some of you may remember these buggers from a few months back. Since then the temperature here has dropped, they’ve been pretty much inactive and haven’t grown much at all. Anyway I’ve just got back from almost 3 weeks away visiting my family in England and girlfriend in southern Spain and brought back a heater and some other bits. You’ve no idea how nervous I was looking through the wool mops for the fish as they are so small and I was worried they might have died as it has been even colder while I’ve been away.

Happily the hardy little so-and-sos are all present and correct so I installed a heater in their container this afternoon.

Attached files

Haji Badaruddin
    Participant

Welcome back Matt …… and looking forward to hear from this breeding project.

keith565
    Participant

glad they survived the cold spell.
    lovely looking fish.
    good to have you back.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks guys.

oaken
    Participant

Yeah, keep it updated. Really interesting to hear about these.

Matt
    Keymaster

Here are a few fairly pathetic update photos I’ve just taken. These are now residing outside on the terrace so hopefully they’ll grow a bit more quickly. Will endeavour to get better pics soon.

Female

Male – he has a bit more colour now.

Now they’re a bit bigger I think I have 2 males and 8 females and I was sitting watching the males defend territories; each above a spawning mop at either end of the container today. The difference in their behaviour after only 48 hours outdoors is incredible as I never saw them do this in the house. I hope to see eggs soon!

Attached files

oaken
    Participant

Wow that male is stunning

mzapater
    Participant

Hi Matt!

Great to see that they are doing so well. They start to look good and will be breeding soon for sure. Are you using gypsum in their water? I keep a little piece of rock in their tank and seems to be working, since I had no losses during the winter and the males are colouring up now (indoors).

When the weather gets better I´ll put some of them in the greenhouse to breed.

What about the mentos?

Manuel…

dunc
    Keymaster

That male is really starting to look great Matt. What kind of temperature range is their water when the tank’s outside?

mickthefish
    Participant

that fish is bloody gorgeous Matt, and the pics are clear enough to see the rays in the finnage, don’t put your crappy camera down matey. /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

The camera’s 10.1 MP I was putting myself down. /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Edit – Temperature is anything between 16-20°C during the day (maybe a little warmer in the fish containers) and 10-ish at night. They seem to really appreciate the regular photoperiod imo.

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE (mickthefish @ Feb 25 2009, 03:19 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    looking forward to seeing the post that says youv’e bred them and the young are everywhere. /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” /> Think the warmer weather is making all the fish go nuts as I’ve just pulled out 15 Cualac eggs from 2 of the 3 mops in their container. I’ve left the third one as Manuel said they didn’t eat the fry last year but I wanted to save some just in case. Manuel do you have any idea of the incubation period for these?

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Thats excellent news Matt

mzapater
    Participant

Hi Matt,

What temperature do you have now there? Mine are not laying eggs yet and are almost fully grown.

About incubation period, I would guess 7 to 10 days or so, no longer than 12 days I think.

Remember to keep gypsum in the fry tank as well. The fry didn´t show any special problems and were raised well last year.

Manuel…

Matt
    Keymaster

It’s averaged 24-26°C this week Manuel, and in the mornings on our terrace maybe a little higher. I added a small piece of gypsum to the container with the eggs after I collected them.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.