LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Cuba 2012

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation Cuba 2012

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Some pics from my recent trip. 🙂

Beach at the hotel, Varadero, and Gambusia rhizophorae in a nearby lagoon.

DSC_0083.JPG.

DSC_0074.JPG

Matt
    Keymaster

Vicinity of Soroa, Pinar del Río province. Still unsure if the cichlids, which we failed to catch, were Nandopsis or tilapia. Plenty of poeciliids here, too. The lizard is Anolis homoloechis.

DSC_0092.JPGDSC_0098.JPGDSC_0094.JPGDSC_0096.JPGDSC_0117.JPG

Matt
    Keymaster

We walked through the jungle to a waterfall we’d been told about, at the bottom of which the net was used for the first time. Live human added for scale!

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG

Matt
    Keymaster

Gambusia punctata were abundant, and there was one individual with two aberrant markings on one side. Look hard for a lizard in the third pic – very cool but elusive and tricky to photograph Cuban stream anole, Anolis vermicularis. Lots of amphibian larvae here as well.008.JPG009.JPG0010.JPG011.JPG

Plaamoo
    Participant

About time:D

Very nice! Beach looks heavenly!! I’m so missing the tropics!!

Matt
    Keymaster

Hehe I know…got loads more, this was just the first afternoon.:smile:

oaken
    Participant

Ooh I’ve been waiting for this topic. Looking forward to more pictures 😎

Bluedave
    Participant

crackin’

more pics!

Stefan

Very nice Matt!! 🙂

nuchal man
    Participant

Great pics Matt! Keep them coming

Matt
    Keymaster

Last few from day 1. Above the waterfall there were lots of young Girardinus microdactylus and am guessing other species but it was getting dark so we retreated to our cabin. Anyone know if the egret is Egretta thula or Ardea alba?

Local beer not bad provided it’s served very cold, otherwise pretty minging.

DSC_0131.JPGDSC_0260.JPGDSC_0242.JPGDSC_0279.JPGDSC_0295.JPGDSC_0301.JPG

coelacanth
    Participant

Don’t think Great White, neck and beak not long enough. To be honest, don’t think Snowy either. To me it looks juvie Cattle. Would fit with posture and location.

Really don’t know about the cichlids, don’t think they’re Africans but neither do I look at them and think “tetracanthus”.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ah-hah, cattle egret! It looked bigger than the ones we have here – is there more than one species?

To be honest the reason I didn’t pay much attention to the cichlids is because a guy selling drinks near the waterfall told us they were tilapia – hopefully got one or two better pics to process from day 2. Also left me seine net at the hotel hence the reason we couldn’t catch any – doh!:x

coelacanth
    Participant

No, all the one species if you follow the current position (depends on the author), all those from the Americas are from one race, there does appear to be some size variation. Apparent size could also be down to perspective. If it was noticeably large then Great White needs to be reconsidered, it just doesn’t look from that picture like the (admittedly few) GWEs that I’ve seen, they are obviously true herons with long neck and bill. Any more pics?

Matt
    Keymaster

Just this one, any use? Pete, you would have gone nuts for the bird life here, absolutely outstanding stuff and only wish my photo skills were better. Will try to upload more over the weekend.

DSC_0296.JPG

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.