LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Curious – Id My Oto's?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Curious – Id My Oto's?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Bluedave 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

ulster exile

I’ve had these a while and some of them were given to me, but I’ve never been able to ID them properly from Planetcatfish’s pics. If anybody here wants to have a stab, please feel free. What has me stumped are the sizes of the majority of these oto’s – they are about twice the length (and width in some cases) of what I have regarded as regular oto’s. Now most of the profiles on PC state that the oto’s are around 1.3″ in length, but most of mine are bigger than that.

Most look like these

The biggest is this fella, who must be over 2″

And a gratuitous belly shot

Reva
    Participant

Nice pics! Whatever Oto cousin they are , they certainly are eating well! http://www.scotcat.com/home.htm

ulster exile

Cheers mate

Matt
    Keymaster

Good grief Chrisi maybe you’re struggling with the id because their, errr, portliness is making the patterning distort! /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” /> You can see the eggs quite clearly in the last shot. I think you have at least two species there. The big guy definitely looks different than the rest, lovely fish that one by the way!

ulster exile

I’m about to pm Mark – I’m thinking we’re going to start a new club for our circumferentially challenged wet friends (aka fat fish have feelings too, you know

Reva
    Participant

I knew Matt or Duncan would correct my guess

Matt
    Keymaster

Any joy with the pics Chrisi?

ulster exile

‘Fraid not – they don’t seem to want to play, apart from the eyeless one (wonder how that happened???)

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

That one is O. vestitus I think Chrisi…

ulster exile

Cheers Matt

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

That one looks like O. vittatus but it’s not so easy to tell.

ulster exile

Not yet mate – I keep trying but with the amount of greenery I have, I usually only get a chance when I’ve emptied half the water out of the tank or if they decide it’s time to make an appearance!

ulster exile

Well it has been some time since I started this thread, but I haven’t had the chance to take any pics of the unidentified oto. Tonight during the water change this fellow was very active flitting here and there but he stopped still long enough for me to take some more pics…

oaken
    Participant

Have you checked out the different Parotocinclus?

Matt
    Keymaster

The body doesn’t look streamlined enough for it to be a Parotocinclus for me…*we need a scratching chin whilst retaining a look of general happiness smilie*.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.