LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Cyprinella Lutrensis

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Cyprinella Lutrensis

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Jarcave 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Graeme
    Participant

Here’s a few pictures of the lovely North American Red Shiner (Cyprinella lutrensis). I’ve been keeping my on these chaps for a while now and on Saturday i decided to purchase a small group of four. These chaps are also called Red Dace, Rainbow Dace, or Rainbow Shiner.

Richy
    Participant

Stunning fish and photo’s Graeme /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Lovely fish Graeme but I am surprised you got hold of them:

2. In addition to the above, the red shiner (Cyprinella lutrensis), also known as Rainbow dace, has been classified as a coldwater species under the Prohibition of Keeping and Release of Live Fish (Specified Species) Order 1998 (as amended). In the circumstances it may no longer be imported into England and Wales under the authority of a DOF 8T licence.

I know when Lisa tried to bring some in they were stopped because of the ban on them

Graeme
    Participant

Yeah i was a little surprised to find them myself. unsure.gif 4 for £10 in Peter Barretts…
    There’s also this that i’ve found…..

C. lutrensis has been banned from sale in some states, including NC, due to its extreme invasiveness & propensity for hybridizing with other Cyprinellas, including protected ones. wholesalers might quit carrying a fish after enough major markets have made it illegal. >>http://fl.biology.usgs.gov/Southeastern_Aq…r_research.html

PS: You want me to get ya a few? ph34r.gif

dunc
    Keymaster

PBs /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Graeme
    Participant

QUOTE (dunc @ Sep 15 2008, 12:40 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Next time you’re up there give me a shout Graeme – I live literally 2mins away /wink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”;)” border=”0″ alt=”wink.gif” />

Matt
    Keymaster

Wow I haven’t seen these for years Graeme. Lucky find and no mistake!

Mark Duffill
    Participant

QUOTE (Graeme @ Sep 15 2008, 12:40 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    PS: You want me to get ya a few? /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

Graeme
    Participant

Cheers Matt! /huh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:huh:” border=”0″ alt=”huh.gif” />

thelizzious

These fish are so beautiful, I just had to try my luck with them, but the scanner takes so much away from this beauty. Anyway, it is the intension that counts. Hope you like this clumpsy attempt.

Graeme
    Participant

Superb art work!

Matt
    Keymaster

Great pic Liz. /ph34r.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:ph34r:” border=”0″ alt=”ph34r.gif” />

Graeme
    Participant

Well…….. you’ll be happy to know that i’ve now got my ‘Doghouse’ insulated……

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Ahh the good old doghouse again Graeme, lets hope its warm enough for you in October

Jarcave
    Participant

WOW – i had some of these when I was a kid. I don’t remember mine being as colourful though. Those are lovely fish. In the states they are often used as live bait when fishing for Peacock bass. Not an angling practise I condone, but hey ho….

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.