LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

D. auropurpureus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes D. auropurpureus

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Rüdiger 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Rüdiger
    Participant

For two years (almost to the day) I have been on a wild goose chase for these. 

Today, I only wanted to pick up some live food and there they are. They are wild, not as bad as I expected but still enough for some motion blur! 😳

Here’s a little sneak preview with better Photos to come:

IMG_2835.jpgIMG_2836.jpgIMG_2848.jpgIMG_2853.jpgIMG_2857.jpgIMG_2861.jpgIMG_2863.jpgIMG_2874.jpgIMG_2886.jpg

plesner
    Participant

It’s a very nice fish. I kept them some 10 years ago. I got them at the same time as Danio erythromicron and Microrasbora rubescens which are also from Lake Inlé. All three species were kept and bred under similar conditions – and all of them seem to be about as easy to breed as your typical Danio.

Compared to other wild caught specimens I’ve seen, these look rather nice.

Rüdiger
    Participant

Sorry, @plesner there might be a misunderstanding!

When I said “wild” I meant constantly on the move, skittish!! From what I could find out, they are tank bred!

Matt
    Keymaster

Gorgeous fish Rudi, and the male D. margaritatus looks pretty special as well.

How are you finding their behaviour in your nicely-decorated tank? Had mine in a rocky hill stream-type arrangement and they were really skittish until a group of D. choprae was added.

Rüdiger
    Participant

Hi Matt,

unfortunately I didn’t have all that much time to observe them yesterday but they are a lot “calmer” than I was led to believe by the many reports I had read on the species. I actually expected a lot of jumping already whilest acclimatizing them in a 5 l bucket with drip pipe. They were nervous and skittish at any movement but never jumped.

After introduction to the tank, six of the 8 specimens I got were out and about immediately, with only 2 specimens hiding amongst the plants for about 40 minutes. The photos were taken about half an hour after introduction and I think the colours say it all. They seem to like it. Eventhough the camera (including my ugly mug) was right at the front pane of the tank, they showed caution but never any panic. It could have helped though, that they were immediately surrounded by D. choprae, a large group of D. margaritatus and their congeners D. pathirana. 

I will sit and watch for a couple of hours today, so there’ll be more info and hopefully beter pics at the end of the day. :-)

BigTom
    Participant

Very nice Rudi. Just those Sawbwa to find now!

Rüdiger
    Participant

Laugh Speaking straight from my heart Tom! Laugh

But if I ever do find them, they’ll have to get a new tank! This one has reached it’s limits as far as numbers are concerned!

Not that I’d mind another tank of course Wink but first there is the missus and then planning the inevitable move towards the end of the year. And for that matter, I can easily do without even more glass, water and swimmers to be considered!! Confused

Plaamoo
    Participant

Great looking fish Rudi. I’ve been watching these for some time in my LFS but I have no place to put them. Yours look in fine shape.

Rüdiger
    Participant

Thanx Jim, they are indeed in very good nick! Smile

The one good thing about my LFS is, that it sprouts some fairly unique caracters!

There’s one guy (a man of the first hour but only part time by now) who does the unspeakable!! He orders in species, which he knows wont sell easily, just because he likes them and wants to have some fun with them himself!! :-D Yesterday for instance, he had a group of really superb D. malabaricus (~ 65 mm SL) in another tank. You can imagine how hard it was to abstain and pretend I didn’t see them at all!! :-D To make things worse, the old chap pointed them out quite insistantly! Yell

I’ll be patient until after the abovementioned move and then, with the blessing of my dearly beloved wife, I can expand on suitable habitats. Wink

Rüdiger
    Participant

@matt : concerning the D. margaritatus you mentioned.

I am lucky enough to have some really beautiful specimens in my shoal, compared to what I see on sale or in breeders tanks.

Here are the two “most productive”. :-)

Danio-margaritatus003.jpgDanio-margaritatus011.jpg

mikev
    Participant

@plaamoo said:

Great looking fish Rudi. I’ve been watching these for some time in my LFS but I have no place to put them.

I know your pain all too well…. Hellweg was offering them last week, it would have been free shipping for me on top of other fish, but no space :(

Plaamoo
    Participant

” He orders in species, which he knows wont sell easily, just because he likes them and wants to have some fun with them himself!!”

There was a guy at my LFS that did the same. Unfortunately he’s gone!

I feel for ya Mike(not), with your 150 tanks! 😀

Rüdiger
    Participant

I feel for ya Mike(not), with your 150 tanks! Laugh

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi all , did these used to be Inlecypris ?

Rüdiger
    Participant

Yes Andy, that’s correct. And before that they used to be Barilius I believe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.