LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Danio Id

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  andy rushworth 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

Would anyone kindly try to ID these chaps?

These were bought over the internet as Danio sp.Hikari

andy rushworth
    Participant

If they are not Hikari , then they will most likely be D. kerri

Matt
    Keymaster

Agreed Andy, looks like one of the southern populations of D. kerri judging by the yellowish base body colour.

mikev
    Participant

thank you guys,

(D.kerry was also the guess of my expert friend, I thought they are a strain of D.albolineatus… some of them do have a similar blue line toward the tail.)

they are definitely not Hikari’s… besides the color/pattern difference, Hikari’s (I have them too now) have much better developed barbels and a deeper body.

They are, incidentally, the easiest danio to breed yet…No work involved, I’m simply siphoning fry from the substrate (unlike d.rerio and others fry that is not free-swimming hides in the substrate and not on the glass).

Matt
    Keymaster

Hmm Mike, how is the body colouration in life?

mikev
    Participant

Sorry?

The colors on the photo are about what I see (and, yes, D.roseus was also suggested, but clearly not).

Matt
    Keymaster

I was asking if the colours in the photos are representative of the live fish because if a purplish background colour was apparent in life they may have been the form of D. albolineatus from the northern part of Peninsular Malaysia which was once described as D. tweedei (currently synonymous with D. albolineatus), and you’d mentioned a certain similarity with that species. As I’m sure you know photos can sometimes distort colouration, though obviously not in this case so thanks for clarifying. Hadn’t considered D. roseus for a second.

mikev
    Participant

D.tweedei (the photo from danios.info specifically) was the basis for my thinking that they are a variation of D.albolineatus exactly… I have these guys in two tanks, with light and dark substrate, and the coloration is identical in both.

I just discovered that your profile talks about confusing the two… this makes me feel better

andy rushworth
    Participant

Personally I’d stick with Kerri , the colouration looks right ,plus the body markings

mikev
    Participant

Sharper photos from the vendor’s ad here.. albeit the colors are different a bit… maybe this will confirm the diagnosis.

I made a breeding experiment yesterday…gravel sac into a spare empty 10g, then examine the bottom and collect eyelashes. 25.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Milev , personally I’ll stick with Kerri !

Hikari has a more prominent striping in the caudal than Kerri , both beautiful aquarium fish though

mikev
    Participant

Thanks, Andy, case closed now.

(I have real D.sp.Hikari too… so that these are not was never in doubt, but I never saw a D.Kerri in my life, they don’t seem to be available in the US lately. Yep, both are beautiful.)

Stefan

I’ve been discussing this thread with Peter Cottle and he allowed me to post his answer on it:

They are without doubt IMO sp. hikari. I know the seller very well and we have looked at those fish in some detail. I have no doubts at all they are sp. hikari.

mikev
    Participant

Peter is The Expert, and the seller (Dennis Ball) is very serious about danios, but here are a one immediate reason why this are not Hikari’s:

With Hikari’s the defining characteristics is different coloration of sexes… in fact Hikari Yellow and Blue are still sold differently. I can sex my Hikari’s instantly, without thinking about the shape. These chaps are actually difficult to sex as danios go, and color is not of help.

(Funny enough when I got the fish from Dennis, I asked him to try to give me roughly even sex ratio… he replied he cannot sex them unless he sees who chases whom…)

andy rushworth
    Participant

Ok , would it be fair to say that if these are sp Hikari the one’s in the pic are all males ?

Perhaps a few more pics might help

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.