LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Danio margaritatus-erythromicron hybrids?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Danio margaritatus-erythromicron hybrids?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Sparked by an interesting email received last week, does anyone here know what the fish pictured below might be, or is anyone aware of pics of confirmed D. margaritatus/erythromicron hybrids?

Danio-margaritatus-odd-male-JJ.jpg

kim m
    Participant

Have you asked Johnny where he took the picture?

Thomas

Matt, there’s a picture of a hybrid in DATZ 1/2008 “Perlhuhnbärbling trifft Blauband-Zwergbärbling”. I’ haven’t this magazine anymore, so I can’t help, sorry.

mikev
    Participant

Very curious: did they find out if the hybrids are fertile? (For danios, the usual answer is no or not really)

BallAquatics
    Participant

Hey Matt, when that photo was first displayed in the US magazine TFH, I sent a copy to Pete Cottle telling him I thought it was just such a hybrid.  He said it didn’t look like any of the hybrids that he had seen while he was in Myanmar.  He sorted through his photos thinking he might have a hybrid photo, but no such luck.

I thought that it surly had to be… with the elongated body spots and that dead give-away tail spot for sure.  I even commented to Pete, that while I have always been against hybrid Danios, that if the margaritatus – erythromicron hybrids looked as attractive as this fish, that I might just have to produce some if just for my own amusement.

Dennis

BillT
    Participant

Go for it Dennis. Do a test.

Matt
    Keymaster

kim m said 

I haven’t but I will, thanks Kim.

@ballaquatics it was actually Pete who had contacted me about this (admittedly with a different photo), and he says that the hybrids he saw in Myanmar were indeed fertile.

What did TFH refer to the fish as?

Matt
    Keymaster

It seems a whole load of these fish were imported to Europe as female D. margaritatus, which I think we all agree it isn’t right?

Funny things going on with this species – there are males with weird fin patterning in the hobby as well.

Danio-margaritatus-male.jpg

Danio-margaritatus-1.jpg

Rüdiger
    Participant

Funny that you should mention the weird patterning as I have pondered this for quite some time now.

I have obvserved different ‘stages’ of pattern abnormalities. 

Here’s a pic of a beginning break-up of the ‘normal’ pattern in a male.

Danio-margaritatus-male_0001.jpg

But it occurs in females too.

Danio-margaritatus-female_0002.jpg

I don’t know if there are specimens with these pattern abnormalities in the wild and nobody I’ve spoken to had seen any when they were still imported in numbers.

Without any scientific data, I do suspect that it might be promoted by years of “hot breeding”. Here’s another pic, which shows a male suffering from yet another symptom of “hot breeding” on top of the changed pattern in anal and ventrals.

Danio-margaritatus-male-deformed_0003-1.jpg

This is the last surviving male from a rescue mission. From 14 saved D. margaritatus, 9 showed severe deformities and all deformed had the aberrant fin patterns.

Regards

R.

BallAquatics
    Participant

@matt said:

kim m said 

I haven’t but I will, thanks Kim.

@ballaquatics it was actually Pete who had contacted me about this (admittedly with a different photo), and he says that the hybrids he saw in Myanmar were indeed fertile.

What did TFH refer to the fish as?

Hey Matt, in the magazine it was refered to as Danio margaritatus… “Aquatic photographer Johnny Jensen offers an intimate look at his pair of celestial pearl danios (Danio margaritatus).”  The photo in the magazine is the same one you posted.

in typical TFH fashion, they simply ignored me when I questioned the photo. LOL  Here’s the link…

http://forums.tfhmagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=30379  That was when I asked Pete what he though about the photo.

Dennis

BallAquatics
    Participant

Here is a rather poor photo of a fish claiming to be a hybrid that was posted on my site http://www.celestialpearldanio.com.

http://www.celestialpearldanio.com/forum/download/file.php?id=4

Dennis

Matt
    Keymaster

@Rüdiger said:

Without any scientific data, I do suspect that it might be promoted by years of “hot breading”. Here’s another pic, which shows a male suffering from yet another symptom of “hot breeding” on top of the changed pattern in anal and ventrals.

My suspicion also; it would be good to get more feedback on this. Guessing that none of the fish displaying these characters will turn out to be wild caught. Is it ok to add your pics to the species profile Rudi?

BallAquatics said

Here is a rather poor photo of a fish claiming to be a hybrid that was posted on my site

How common are these fish in the trade Dennis?

Rüdiger
    Participant

No problem Matt, as I said before, you may use any of my pics you want! :-)

I’d be interested too if more of the guys here have encountered larger numbers of severely deformed D. margaritatus?

The little guy in the pic above is actually the best looking of the whole lot (most probably the reason he’s still alive :?). Unfortunately I have no pics of the really bad ones.

Regards

R.

P.S. I sincerely apologize for the typo in “breading”.:oops:

coelacanth
    Participant

We’ve had no new stock in since getting our fish back in late 06, they’re still looking good (as individuals age you get obvious symptoms of course), a few come through on display on a regular basis, we deliberately bred some for a planted nano a few months ago and they were all fine from memory.

Matt
    Keymaster

@Rüdiger said:

P.S. I sincerely apologize for the typo in “breading”.Embarassed

Haha no worries, think we all like ‘hot bread’. 😀 Thanks a lot for the pics will add them now.

As a result of this thread Johnny has made a new page for the fish on his website.

@coelacanth are some of the original fish still alive?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.