LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Danionella dracula Britz, Conway Rüber, 2009 – from Myitkyina, Myanmar

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Danionella dracula Britz, Conway Rüber, 2009 – from Myitkyina, Myanmar

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Humunuku 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Stefan

Ever since Paedocypris was described I have been mesmerized by progenetic paedomorphosis of which Danionella are another prime example. Thanks to Pat and Colin I’m finally able to keep one of those miniature fishes at home. We were unsure what species they were but one of the authors identified them for me as Danionella dracula.

Sadly some of them have passed away; they appear to be very sensitive fish. So I’m left with 7 of them with 1 definite male and female (I’m thinking the ratio is 1/6) and of course I’ll be trying to breed them! Thanks to Paul Dixon for helping out in that particular area.

They’re in a 60cm tank (overkill, I know) with a sandy bottom, floating plants on the surface with long roots hanging down, and dead leaves on the bottom and surface. They’re doing just great and eat microworms, BBS, dry foods and everything. There are cherry shrimp (what species are they?) in there as well to keep things clean. pH is 7.5, dGH 8, temprature 24.5C.

Colin
    Participant

Just want to add that in the second pic you can see a hint of the green flash the fish sometimes show – I was pleasantly surprised that they had had an interesting and pretty quirky neon stripe.

Matt
    Keymaster

Way cool – now get them bred and send me some!

Stefan

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 18 2011, 05:36 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Way cool – now get them bred and send me some!

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

Do you know if anyone has bred them? A friendof mine keeps D. dracula and hasn´t had much luck so far.

Stefan

QUOTE (Senor Bastardo @ Apr 18 2011, 09:31 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Do you know if anyone has bred them? A friendof mine keeps D. dracula and hasn´t had much luck so far.

To the best of my knowledge only translucida has been bred in captivity, none of the other 3. I’ll keep you posted here; maybe there’ll something that can help your friend?

oaken
    Participant

I’ve had this species two times, and I have 3 left at the moment. The first time all died to some mysterious disease. Their body basically turned white and they faded away. But people who got fish from the same shipment had the same problem apparently.

Anyway, I wouldn’t say they’re sensitive fish, they can be a bit skittish at first and might die because of that. But other than that they seem quite long lived (up to 3 years I’ve heard?) and don’t seem too concerned about water quality, either. They eat like pigs as well

Stefan

Down to 6. The male just died and I don’t know why. That means no breeding.

Matt
    Keymaster

Oh no.

Stefan

QUOTE (Matt @ Apr 20 2011, 08:27 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Oh no.

Colin
    Participant

you want me to order some more in?

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ Apr 20 2011, 11:09 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    you want me to order some more in?

You’ve got none left? Yes, please do, as long as they’re the same species

Colin
    Participant

I wouldn’t like to bet on how hardy they are for a journey like that.. You might be better asking in your local shops for a special order? Yes, all sold on this side

Stefan

QUOTE (Colin @ Apr 21 2011, 07:54 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    I wouldn’t like to bet on how hardy they are for a journey like that.. You might be better asking in your local shops for a special order? Yes, all sold on this side

I won’t be able to get these, I’m pretty sure. Maybe translucida at best, but I need dracula

Humunuku
    Participant

I finally got hold of a bunch of these. 🙂

One or two individuals looks like they wil not make it since they keep swimming upside down mainly close to the surface, but the rest is eagerly taking microworm and BBS.

I’m opting for no heater, javafern, moss, fine sand, and Oslo-tap water (>pH 7,5 >gH 1).

I’ve spoted a couple of big-bellied specimens that I suppose are gravid females, but need to get some macro-shots or a session with the magnifyer to be certain.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.