LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Dario Dario – Scarlet Badis

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Dario Dario – Scarlet Badis

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Richy
    Participant

These look ideal to finish off my shrimp tank /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?g…dario&id=41

Tank is an Aquaone ar320 (28 litres)
    sand and roman gravel
    6 x cory similis
    3 Tylomelania snails (pics will be added to my thread soon /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Richy

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Richy

1 male to every 2 females is the ideal ratio for the Scarlet Badis.

I looked after a pair of these fish, for a fellow Ryedale A.S. member, for several weeks. They were a little ‘nervy’ and loved the security of pieces of broken ceramic plant pot, that formed small caves, sunk into the gravel. They had good appetities and took small pieces of flake and granular foods plus live brine shrimp.

They never bothered the adult guppies, resident in this tank, but advise that you seek advice from Mad Duff or Keith as to whether they would pose a danger to the shrimplets – creatures I know (shame on me) very little about.

Regards David

mickthefish
    Participant

Richy, Andy rush had his in a very well planted tank, they were visible through the crypt’s stay close to the bottom nearly all the time, in the case of eating shrimplets i would imagine they’ll snag a few but there still will be survivors.
    i think they should like your tank very well mate.

mick

Richy
    Participant

Thanks David and Mick for the quick replies /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    1-3 ratio goes against what i read so far but i understand why you say this so i’ll take this into consideration before i buy, ty /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    Caves etc i can sort out no problem /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    David, its no shame that you don’t know alot about shrimps, thats why forums like SF is here, for us all to share and learn our knowledge /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

From what you have both said, i feel they’ll not be suitable for my normal community tank so i’ll stick to just having some in the small shrimp/cory similis/ snail tank

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Richy

Hope all goes okay with your Scarlet Badis project.

Yes we are currently looking at more advertiement opportunities for The Aquarium Gazette.

Regards David

oaken
    Participant

Be aware that males are very aggressive towards each other and females, so lots of plants is a must.

Richy
    Participant

David, were you at Redby show on Sunday gone, i heard a rumour you were and i was there too. I also heard a late rumour Keith had been in but i didnt see him either lol. I didnt buy anything but i did win a £25 gift voucher for Maidenhead Aquatics, ooh and a tub of goldfish food which had NO use to me so i gave it away lol

Oaken, i can move some newley planted ones over if i think i need more.
    I ordered 6 fish so, 2 m 4 fem in the same tank? Or 1 male, 2 fem in both tanks? they both can be heavily planted.
    I’m setting up other tanks with mature water and filters for the shrimps so i can easily re house them anyway temporarily if need be /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Thanks

Richy

Richy
    Participant

P.S.S. i should be getting them on thursday evening so pics will follow when settled in

oaken
    Participant

QUOTE (Richy @ Apr 8 2009, 01:37 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Oaken, i can move some newley planted ones over if i think i need more.
    I ordered 6 fish so, 2 m 4 fem in the same tank? Or 1 male, 2 fem in both tanks? they both can be heavily planted.
    I’m setting up other tanks with mature water and filters for the shrimps so i can easily re house them anyway temporarily if need be /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Thanks

Richy

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Richy

Yes I was at Redby.

I was talking with Keith on the morning. Keith’s wife, Dawn, was helping Steve with the Show paperwork.

I was judging fish in the show hall and had a wonderful time. Sue, my sister, was sat in the auction with Stella Cowan. Sue has not been wonderful, health wise, for several weeks so I was allowed to sign and seal the cards so that we could make our way home soon after judging was over.

Are you coming down to Ryedale on the 26th?

Regards David

Richy
    Participant

QUOTE (oaken @ Apr 8 2009, 02:05 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Two males or not depends on the tank size if you ask me, if its a 28 litre tank I wouldn’t keep two males in there, so rather split them up.

Btw, have you specifically ordered 4 females? Just asking because females are usually rare.

I ordered 25 mixed m/f for the shop but wont know what turns up until i call in on thursday teatime

Richy
    Participant

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Apr 8 2009, 10:51 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hey Richy

Yes I was at Redby.

I was talking with Keith on the morning. Keith’s wife, Dawn, was helping Steve with the Show paperwork.

I was judging fish in the show hall and had a wonderful time. Sue, my sister, was sat in the auction with Stella Cowan. Sue has not been wonderful, health wise, for several weeks so I was allowed to sign and seal the cards so that we could make our way home soon after judging was over.

Are you coming down to Ryedale on the 26th?

Regards David

Hi, i think i may have been standing at the back beside them both lol. I don’t think i’ll be at rydale but most probably will go to the next one on the west coast for catfish. 2 of my friends will be going and i’ll try and drag Keith along if he’s not working lol My friends are after some Barbatus sp

Richy
    Participant

Got 6 tonight and i’ve opted to put then in a 47litre tank with the misc cross bred shrimp for now as it’s right beside my laptop and i can monitor more closley. There is amass of fern in there and they have lots of room to hide, BUT………. they’re more concerned about chasing the shrimps grr lol Shrimps are faster though /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” /> I’ll get photo’s when they settle in better but i can see some lovely colours on pressumed males showing already /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Richy

oaken
    Participant

Dario likes cool temperatures so they’ll be fine without a heater.

Regarding their aggressiveness I can say that I have a pair of the less aggressive Dario hysginon right now in an 18 litre tank (40x20x22) and the male is more or less constantly showing off/chasing the female. The tank is stuffed with moss though so she does okay.

Richy
    Participant

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the delay but i’ve had nightmares trying to get a good photo, and i still havent suceeded so here’s the best of what i captured
    different fish

Male moved to the aquastart320, this is the true colours i see but photo quality is poor
    See, its a crap photo lol /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />
    I have to say though, as Matt say’s in their profile, VERY MUCH underrated fish indeed and I have no complaints about getting them

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.