LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Dario hysginon

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Dario hysginon

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Wow what’s their natural habitat like then Gustav?

oaken
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Mar 2 2009, 06:23 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Wow what’s their natural habitat like then Gustav?

This is the info I have:

“Indawgyi Lake near Lonton
    Dario hysginon

135 µS. GH 4, KH 3, pH 8.0-8.5, temp. 2 Celsius.

Yansyn near Indawgyi Lake
    Badis corycaeus, Dario hysginon

54 µS, GH 1, KH 2, pH 8.5-9.0, late afternoon temp. 25 Celsius, morning temp. in very nearby, same type of habitat 15 Celsius. (He speaks of how the sun raises the temp. throughout the day, like posted in this thread earlier.) Slow flowing water with lots of plants.

Nanhkwy stream/river near Myitkyina
    Badis corycaeus, Dario hysginon

85 µS, GH 3.5-4.0, KH 2, pH 7.8-8.0, temp. 20.5 Celsius. The stream is 100 m wide with flowing water. Fish caught near the banks.”

http://www.petfrd.com/forum/showthread.php…inon#post207509

Matt
    Keymaster

That’s the same locality as Puntius erythromycter mate. Bit more habitat info here.

oaken
    Participant

Thanks, good info

oaken
    Participant

Happy to report that I now have lots of newly hatched fry from these beauties. Too small to get a picture of though, they really are tiny.

dunc
    Keymaster

Superb news oaken, congratulations

Richy
    Participant

yes, excellent news and great looking fish you have there too /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

oaken
    Participant

Thanks. And yeah Richy get some pictures of your D. dario

Matt
    Keymaster

Well done Gustav! Any chance you can post some to Spain?

oaken
    Participant

Haha, you never know, Matt!

BigTom
    Participant

Picked up three of these that had been languishing in a shop near me for a few weeks. Pretty sure I’ve got two males and a female, will get some footage soon for confirmation. Seem to settling in nicely and taking frozen food as long as it wafts about in the water column a bit. Not much colour to them yet, will see how they do.

oaken
    Participant

Cool. Make sure to get some pictures of them! Or video?!

BigTom
    Participant

Quick video of them here –

http://vimeo.com/35705701

The tank is newly set up so is still a little messy, but they seem happy at the moment. The adult male is complete attention whore, he’s up against the front glass begging whenever he sees me come near. Much less shy than I was expecting.

BigTom
    Participant

Oh, and a question.

I’m fully expecting to need to move one of the males when they start getting territorial. Do you think there’s any wisdom in removing either the adult or subadult male preferentially? The female looks about the same age as the younger male.

oaken
    Participant

QUOTE (BigTom @ Jan 27 2012, 04:16 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Oh, and a question.

I’m fully expecting to need to move one of the males when they start getting territorial. Do you think there’s any wisdom in removing either the adult or subadult male preferentially? The female looks about the same age as the younger male.

I don’t think it would matter really. They’re not really anything like cichlids where the female would be able to “hold her own” against a male if they were of a similar size. With Dario spp. I find that the males are always chasing the females relentlessly anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.