LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Dario hysginon

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Dario hysginon

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author

oaken
    Participant

Nice video of a really nice tank btw!

BigTom
    Participant

Cheers oaken, will keep thread updated.

Matt
    Keymaster

Been trying to see this video for 3 days but can’t view from work and not really been at home. Priority for tonight!

Matt
    Keymaster

Lovely.

BigTom
    Participant

Yeah both males have been showing a certain amount of interest in the female, not really chasing her too much so far, just swimming up and displaying a bit.

BigTom
    Participant

Just a little update on these guys. I moved them across to the big tank, and haven barely seen them since, except to find one of the smaller ones dead a few weeks later, which wasn’t very promising.

However, I just got a good look at what I initially thought were a couple of Danio erythromicron fry and one of them is definitely a Dario, so it looks like they’ve bred.

For the record – pH 7.4, TDS 230-280ppm, 22-24 degrees.

Matt
    Keymaster

The following comment is awaiting approval on the species profile – can anyone confirm or deny this to be true?

‘I find this Dario species to be much easier to feed, readily accepting pellets and fine flake foods as well as gel diets. They are also considerably easier to sex, and breed readily when provided with some leaf litter.’

BigTom
    Participant

Mine took flake and pellet right from the start, so I can definitely corroborate that. Sexing via body shape is fairly doable once you get your eye in. No idea about the importance of leaf litter for breeding as I never saw mine at any stage of the breeding process.

oaken
    Participant

@matt said:
    The following comment is awaiting approval on the species profile – can anyone confirm or deny this to be true?

‘I find this Dario species to be much easier to feed, readily accepting pellets and fine flake foods as well as gel diets. They are also considerably easier to sex, and breed readily when provided with some leaf litter.’

I too found D. hysginon to be easier to feed than D. dario. They did eat dry foods from the start, no idea what gel diets are though? About sexing, D. dario is in my experience definitely the easier fish to sex. Dario dario can simply be sexed by shining on them with a flashlight, if the fish got red stripes (even the faintest) it’s a male, while in D. hysginon you can pretty much only go by body shape if the fish hasn’t coloured up (which they won’t if you have several males in a tank, in my case it was about 10 males in a rather small tank though).

I wouldn’t see any reason why leaf litter would be required other than to give the female some cover.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok thanks you two, will approve comment now.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.