LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Dead Platy

This topic contains 25 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Eyrie 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Sofia

I am just speaking to my partner and the least active Platy is dead :'(
    I was wondering whether it was ill from begining on, as it kept hiding and spending time on its own. She was difficult to get up to feed as well, but when she came up she did eat.

I will get a photo to see if the fish looks ill, but I recall her being strange.

There is another one (female) that is really big and she keeps getting big. Do you think she might be pregnant?

Poor little dead fish

Matt
    Keymaster

Aww sorry Sofia. These things do happen, especially with the mass-produced stuff like platies. Let’s hope the other ones are ok. If you can get your other (better?

dunc
    Keymaster

How long did you have that Platy for Sofia?

As Matt says, this kind of problem is often seen with mass produced fishes. When I first started keeping fish, I purchased 5 beautifully coloured Guppies.. and they were all dead in the bag by the time I got back home, less than 15minutes away.

I had overseen the catching of them and they didn’t look particularly stressed. They were in two brown bags and then kept safe in a polystyrene box.. yet they all died.

I had purchased 5 or 6 Platties and Mollies too which were absolutely fine, so I have to put it down to that shipment of Guppies being a fairly weak strain. Doesn’t make it any less upsetting though!

Sofia

Oh, that is bad!
    Thank God that didn’t happen to me.

I had them 11 days now

Sofia

Right, I have got photos.
    Not sure if I should have posted the one of the dead one. To me it doesn’t look starved or sick /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />

The ‘pregnant’ platy is below. Please don’t tell me she is ill and going to die. She was only half as big when I got her 11 days ago.

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Sofia. The thing that worries me about that is that I can’t see a “gravid spot” on that fish. When livebearers are gravid you can almost always see the developing young as a dark patch near the anal fin/vent of the fish. I can’t see any evidence of that on your platy. It does look rather unnaturally swollen too. That’s not to say it’s definitely ill, it’s just difficult to assess from those pics. That fish could just as easily drop a load of fry in the next few days than be infected with something. Can you get a closer shot of, well, it’s arse? Keith is our resident livebearer guru so maybe he’ll offer some additional thoughts.

The dead one doesn’t show any sign of disease I agree. You are remineralising your ro a bit aren’t you?

Sofia

Hi Matt,

Michael will see if he can get a closer up. For the meantime here is a picture of the other side of the fish.

Do you think she has to die? Michael doesn’t think the ‘bulge’ is far enough back to be fry

Attached files

dunc
    Keymaster

All you need to do to remineralise is add some tap water. I would suggest immediately replacing 25% of the tank’s water with tap water.

Matt
    Keymaster

As a first step, I’d do what Dunc said too.

keith565
    Participant

sorry about the platy, but i agree, many shop bought fish don’t have the ability to fight diseases like those home bred.
    as for the platy in the picture, it is hard to say. although there is no gravid spot, she is a gold/yellow platy, so may well be producing gold fry, therefor no gravid spot as we usually see.
    best way is to have a close look at the gravid area, see if u can see any tiny black dots, any at all, if so then that is probably the fry, if not, then it could be she is filling up with fluid.
    another thing you can do is look at her from the top, see if the scales are starting to protrude away from the body, what is called ‘pine coning’. this is a sure sign of dropsy, and little can be done. this is the worst scenario, so fingers crossed she is gravid.
    hope this helps, albeit a bit depressing in parts.

Sofia

Ok, thank you. This will be done this evening.
    Thanks everyone.

Sofia

Ok, I tried to get a shot in focus of her back, but to no avail. I don’t see what you described above. I am really concerned. I don’t see any fry in the tank or still the fish.
    The other female is swelling up now as well. I am really concerned!

Is there any other way to remineralise the water? I did the water change, but I would rather not pollute the tank with my tap water in future.

Any help is grately appreciated

Matt
    Keymaster

You can buy products that do the same thing, but mixing in a little tapwater is usually sufficient and won’t “pollute” your tank. Your platies and guppies will almost certainly fare better in tap than pure ro; I suspect it’s the low mineral content that’s affecting them. I’d try a 50% water change using tap water and hope for the best. Fingers crossed for you Sofia.

keith565
    Participant

most livebearers do prefer hard water, ph over 7 and quite hard. so keeping them in RO will not be good for them. all my livebearers are kept in tap water, nothing else (apart from tap water conditioner). i have hundreds and all do very well. my ph is 7.5 and hardness is off the scale.
    i would do some small water changes with tap water, see if this helps with the fish. if they are eating and swimming normal. perhaps all is ok. fingers crossed.

Sofia

Ok, i inspected the biggest female closely from the side. It looks as if she has ‘eggs’ in her just after the silver looking bit.
    Would fry look like eggs? I can’t see any black spots like eyes or so http://www.canadianaquariumconnection.com/jb_images/pp10.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.