LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Delta Del Llobregat

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation Delta Del Llobregat

This topic contains 44 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 5 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 152 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

Great venture Matt! Beautiful little fish, hope they take to their new home!

Matt
    Keymaster

Not my venture Jim, I’m just a willing assistant and representative for the S.E.I. It is one of the few things in life that give me genuine satisfaction, though.

Matt
    Keymaster

Update: earlier this year some artificial pools were set up behind the scenes at the park to breed Aphanius for reintroduction experiments. Yesterday we went to check on progress and see how one of the populations we released earlier in the summer is getting on.

Trachemys scripta elegans and T. scripta scripta which have been removed by park staff because the native turtle Mauremys leprosa inhabits the park:

One of the pools. Three adult pairs of A. iberus were released into each several months ago:

Some other pools:

Moorish Gecko, Tarentola mauritanica (I think):

Roberto checks the only pool where no fish were found – we’re still unsure why:

Manuel and Juan Pablo checking the net:

Bagging the fish for counting before returning them to the pool. Final count 109 males and 104 females which is brilliant, really:

A. iberus pair in the photo tank:

Palaemonetes sp.?

Loads and loads of lovely fish!

Some kind of fly larva:

The growth rate of the fish was crazy considering the adults were only introduced less than four months ago:

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Lots of young specimens!

Counting…this went on for a while since we collected 298 males and 379 females from one pool! Amazing result from just three females!!!

BIG Egyptian Grasshopper, Anacridium aegyptium:

Gammarid amphipods were swarming in the pools:

This is Can Camins – one of two localities where captive-bred adult fish were released in June:

Fry were spotted almost immediately in this marginal section and didn’t appear to be Gambusia:

Then we saw some larger fishes in deeper water so out came the net:

Subadult male A. iberus which has to have been born and bred here because only adults were released. Groups of similarly-sized specimens could be seen all around the margins and we also caught a few females to check their health. Superb result!!! /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

Bad-ass dragonfly larva:

Attached files

Bully
    Participant

Great news!

Matt
    Keymaster

Right had a bit of trouble labelling the pics correctly but should be sorted now.

Attached files

Bully
    Participant

I suppose that explains the shrimp, perhaps the Gambusia too?

Is it fair to presume that the main diet for the pools was mosquito larvae provided naturally, or were the pools fed artificially?

Matt
    Keymaster

No artifical feeding – the fish are getting a totally natural diet. Lots of mosquito and chironomid (midge) larvae plus I guess the young of the shrimp and amphipods.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Congrats Matt! Looks like a great success. What’s the winter like there? Any danger of freezing out those small ponds?

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks Jim!

Hokum
    Participant

Very interesting post and lovely to see a proper introduction of a native species too. Cant wait to see what the result is next year after them being in for a year.

oaken
    Participant

Love it. Looking forward to seeing more updates as well.

Good thing you caught that Gambusia as well cause she looks like she’s ready to explode!

coelacanth
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Sep 6 2010, 07:44 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Some kind of fly larva:

Possibly an Eristalis pupa, though not sure. Looks familiar.

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

Matt couldn´t you write an article for PFK (or any other mag for that´s sake) about the European killies? I know I would love to read it!

Matt
    Keymaster

I suggested it to PFK twice but never received a response. here.

Everyone else, thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 152 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.