LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Delta Del Llobregat

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation Delta Del Llobregat

This topic contains 44 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 152 total)
  • Author

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

That´s interesting! I suggested an article about keeping killies to Matt Clarke some eight months ago, and he seemed pretty up for it.
    But due to a lack of time I nevered finished it. But I´m going on parental leave in February so I´m hoping I´ll get the chance then, if I´m not busy preparing for the killi show in Copenhagen in next September, thought I´d enter some fish.

Matt
    Keymaster

Very brief update – in October we released 600 captive-bred specimens into Laguna Ca L’Arana (pic below). We’ll pop back after xmas to check on their progress. There are other, potentially very exciting developments happening too but I’m not at liberty to say what at the minute.

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Update – on the 21st of March Manuel, myself and other members of the SEI will sign an agreement allowing us to use this reclaimed camp site for the project! The space has enormous potential so to say I’m excited would be a massive understatement!

The bricks came out a week or two back and work has now begun – had to sit on these photos for a few months while everything was confirmed.

This pool outside the building should make a nice display once planted up and fish added.

Back of building.

View of the Mediterranean from the site.

We also get to use this amazing old recreational complex…

…these pools have been fixed up and filled with water this week.

The potential for this space is staggering – we should be able to breed tens of thousands of Aphanius and we’re already discussing what else we could stock. Gasterosteus is a possibility as it used to exist here but went extant a few years ago.

Another view of one of the larger pools.

This shallower pool will probably be used to house the endemic turtle Mauremys leprosa, or invasive Trachemys scripta removed from the natural waters in the park.

There’s yet another huge pool a little further along.

Here it is.

We have all this extra space to play with too – you can see the building from the first few photos among the trees in the distance.

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Here’s the space on Google Maps.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Amazing stuff Matt, the mind boggles with what could be done with all that space

Matt
    Keymaster

I know – as Nigel (ricefish) will attest when I first saw it I couldn’t actually speak for a while.

Should we manage to pull it off as we hope visitors will be welcome of course. The SEI boys don’t know it yet but I’m building a budget for a barbecue and beer pump into the funding proposal…/laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

keith565
    Participant

wow, that site is amazing. i wish everyone concerned every success with the project. i for one will be a visitor.

ricefish
    Participant

Hopefully all the fish will eat those vicious mosquito’s

Very nice, and very encouraging. Thanks for posting. Great photos and a great project.

Buenas suerte, amigo.

QUOTE (ricefish @ Mar 15 2011, 06:01 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Hopefully all the fish will eat those vicious mosquito’s

Bluedave
    Participant

Awesome mate, get the BBQ fired up!!!

Matt
    Keymaster

Hahaha thanks everyone!

ricefish
    Participant

Good to see you dressed up for the occasion!!!
    I’ll let you post the link

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok Nigel. Here’s the local news report – for those that don’t know what I look like I’m the monkey wearing a white t-shirt in the water towards the end. Something from another news website here too.

Will post pics and stuff once I’ve had a chance to edit them.

Matt
    Keymaster

Another link, this time from the local government website.

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Excellent stuff Matt

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 152 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.