LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Devario laoensis

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Devario laoensis

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  andy rushworth 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

andy rushworth
    Participant

Had a trip to Pier Aquatics today and picked up 10 Devario Laoensis , I’ve fancied having some of these ever since Kamphol showed some pics over on Petfrd a few years back , has anyone else kept these ?

Pier Aquatics never ceases to amaze with its fantastic array of rare fishes

Colin
    Participant

Good find Andy!

Probably the first UK import? Don’t think anyone else has been keeping these?

A couple months back I brought in some D. gibber that turned out to be D. acrostomus; seems like more of these unusual Devario are reaching us – Jack Irish took the last group of acrostomus

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Colin , I thought Neil had imported them before but he says I got mixed up with D.chrysotaeniata , they do look quite close

Matt
    Keymaster

Think Colin’s right Andy – not sure this sp. has ever been exported before? Did a profile recently which includes habitat shots.

Is the id guaranteed? I’ll need to change a bit of the text in the ‘notes’ section if so.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt ,Neil gets his fish off Kamphol so I guess the i.d.ing is pretty good ?

I must say the available pics dont seem bullet proof, though I did think that Neil had had them in before because I heard that Paul [Pablito] had taken some , I asked Neil and he explained that those were D.chrysotaeniatus and that they were very orange on the belly/chest and that he hadn’t imported these before !

These [Laoensis] are gorgeous though with their blue and yellow colouration

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I got a couple of pics of the Devario laoensis when I was at Pier a couple of weeks back:

Attached files

andy rushworth
    Participant

Nice pics Mark

Matt
    Keymaster

Nice fish too.

pablito
    Participant

Having looked at my fish, the fish depicted in the shots above and the pics in Peter’s book I have an inkling that the fish are the same.
    Will get some shots and post em let everyone draw their own conclusions..

andy rushworth
    Participant

QUOTE (pablito @ Apr 4 2011, 11:38 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Having looked at my fish, the fish depicted in the shots above and the pics in Peter’s book I have an inkling that the fish are the same.
    Will get some shots and post em let everyone draw their own conclusions..

Its difficult to pin these down by the available pics ? apparently its a dentition job

Matt
    Keymaster

According to the description the central ‘P’ body stripe terminates at the caudal peduncle in D. laoensis but extends to the tips of the cadual fin rays in D. chrysotaenitaus. Judging by Mark’s pics the id looks good?

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt when Pablito posts his pics ,we can compare them to Marks ! do any of the available pics of D.chryso’s clearly show this P stripe running into the caudal ?

Matt
    Keymaster

Not really Andy. profile) and there seems to be a hint of a dark stripe in the middle of the caudal but nothing conclusive?

Attached files

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt I can see what you mean about that ,I was checking my Lao’s with a magnifying glass and on a couple of the more brightly coloured males there is the slightest hint of a the stripe running through the caudal /ohmy.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:o” border=”0″ alt=”ohmy.gif” /> not sure if they overlap in the wild ? I imagine they’d be difficult to tell apart ???????

andy rushworth
    Participant

Some pics of my D. laoensis

and a pic of a couple of Botia Rostrata that share the tank !

Attached files

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.