LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Devario sp. ‘blood red giant’

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Devario sp. ‘blood red giant’

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  andy rushworth 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

Yep, them.

I kept a group of no-brand Giant Danios which happened to have reddish fins for a number of years… was really enjoyable… but Blood Red seem much nicer.

But not the kind of fish one can hope that others will get to breed and spread…. :(

BallAquatics
    Participant

@BillT said:

Sadly also no current room for any of these.

I do have 6 of their Devario assamensis in a 20G.

Well it looks like we’re all in the same boat, no room.  I just figured it was a fanciful name in hopes of selling more fish.

Those Devario assamensis are nice fish.  Be sure to keep them cool.  I had a nice group that I lost to the summer heat a few years back.

Talking of new fish, I picked up a nice group of Devario acrostomus at the club auction last week. http://www.columbusfishclub.org/auction_fall.php

Dennis

mikev
    Participant

Nay, look at their photo, it does seem to be a new species, much better than “red-finned” version of common “giant danio”.

This is roughly what I had: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Devario_aequipinnatus.JPG (died out after 8 or 9 years :( ).

This is the new Wetspot fish: http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y410/TheWetSpotTropicalFish/Cyprinids/DevariospBurmeseBloodRedGiantDanio.jpg

Too bad… I was kind of hoping you get and breed them :(

BallAquatics
    Participant

Well never say never, when I get through all the fish I have on hand, I’ll be looking for something new.  =;-)

I think the Devario aequipinnatus I’m currently working with have very red fins.

I was thinking of sending that WetSpot photo to Pete to see what he though they were…..  So many Danios, so little time. lol

Perhaps Matt will be kind enough to split these last few posts over to a new thread since we’ve totally managed to hijack this one with our Danionin ramblings.

Dennis

mikev
    Participant

Yes, my bad, sorry.

Your D.aequipinnatus is exactly the fish I had… I bought them in Petland (local chain store) for $1 apiece, and then never saw them again, always uncolored fins. :(

dunc
    Keymaster

Dennis, did you see the new Wetspot’s devario? I’m drooling… not so much the $, but I really have no space for them now……

Are you referring to their “Burmese Blood Red Giant Danio” Devario?

I have been tempted to go up to Portland just to check it out.

Sadly also no current room for any of these.

I do have 6 of their Devario assamensis in a 20G. These are really nice fish. They like to be close to each other.

Matt
    Keymaster

@ballaquatics said:
    Perhaps Matt will be kind enough to split these last few posts over to a new thread since we’ve totally managed to hijack this one with our Danionin ramblings.

Dennis

Hehe, consider it done Dennis!

This red-finned fish is very reminiscent of D. devario

BallAquatics
    Participant

Thank you Matt. You know us fish geeks, once we get started no telling where we’ll end up!

@matt said:

This red-finned fish is very reminiscent of D. devario

Nothing against the WetSpot as I’ve purchased and received some great fish from them in the past, but their photos and descriptions are often not very comforting or accurate…..

Danio sp. “Kyathit”

Brachydanio sp. “Fire Ring”

Devario assamensis “Assam Danio”

Dennis

mikev
    Participant

Not just danios, loaches are routinely mislabeled and I’m at a point of being afraid to order from them. I’d have ordered the “Fire Ring”‘s but I don’t know if the fish matches the photo… :(

Plaamoo
    Participant

My LFS gets most of their fish from them and the mistaken identities are rampant. They often get mixed sp. so they obviously aren’t good at keeping them separate. I’ve seen rhinogobius leavelii & zhouii in the duospilus tank. The paros are always wrong.

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Mike , the new Wet Spot fish I have seen being sold as Chrysotaeniatus  { spelling } but I think it represents D. annandalei , Annandalei is one of the most Beautiful of the Devario’s and it does have a look of Devario Devario but is more elongate !

mikev
    Participant

Sorry Andy, not sure which listing you are talking about…cannot find it…link?…

More Wetspot fun: Here is an amazing Australian 2-dorsal Cyprinid

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Mike ,Ive added pic of the fish I believe to be Annandalei !

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y410/TheWetSpotTropicalFish/Cyprinids/DevariospBurmeseBloodRedGiantDanio.jpg

BallAquatics
    Participant

Not to put him on the spot or anything, as doing fish ID’s from an Internet photo can be almost impossible, but I sent the WetSpot photo and AquaBid link to Pete and this was his reply…..

I think this is a regina. We caught them with varying degrees of colour. Near the Myanmar border (albeit separated by quite a large river) in S. Thailand we caught some real beauties – very red particularly on the back and the dorsal fin. 

It would certainly be nice if the exporters would drop the flowery names.  I think most of us interested in Danionins would be more interested if the fish were properly ID’ed with a location.  Then even if they are NOT a new fish, you would know what you actually have. Something like all the varieties of Pelvicachromis taeniatus, (“Bipindi”, “Kienke”, “Lokundje”, “Makoure”, etc, etc).  Perhaps in a world driven by monetary gains it’s simply too much to ask for.

Dennis

BallAquatics
    Participant

@mikev said:
    I’d have ordered the “Fire Ring”‘s but I don’t know if the fish matches the photo… :(

I felt the same and purchased a dozen from Tom & Nevin over on http://aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/cyprinids/danios_for_sale.htm#4748  Each time I’ve purchased from them I’ve received young healthy fish, no complaints.  Shipping is reasonable too.

Dennis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.