LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Devario sp. ‘blood red giant’

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Devario sp. ‘blood red giant’

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  andy rushworth 6 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Plaamoo
    Participant

Too much to ask for IMO Dennis. It’s not only the exporters at fault but also the importers and even fishkeepers. So many ignore proper names in favor of the sexier names. Some folks seem to prefer confusion. :)

mikev
    Participant

@ballaquatics said:

@mikev said:
    I’d have ordered the “Fire Ring”‘s but I don’t know if the fish matches the photo… :(

I felt the same and purchased a dozen from Tom & Nevin over on http://aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/cyprinids/danios_for_sale.htm#4748  Each time I’ve purchased from them I’ve received young healthy fish, no complaints.  Shipping is reasonable too.

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis!

Funny .. I knew of this site but never realized they carried types of fish I care about (menu structure)… actually they do! Yeah, this looks good. Now I need to see if I can manage some space… maybe doable. I guess you are happy with yours? Fins are properly red? (I’ve seen different strains)

—-

as for naming problems… everyone makes mistakes, actually I saw a couple on Tom/Nevin site right aay… but Wetspot is unwilling to correct even when told.

BallAquatics
    Participant

@mikev said:
    I guess you are happy with yours? Fins are properly red? (I’ve seen different strains)

I’m happy with them.  They are showing very good color especially when you consider they are not on a proper substrate.  When they came in, I just threw them into a bare-bottom 15 which is sitting right in front of the tank the Devario xyrops spawned in, (the main reason I couldn’t get any decent photos of the xyrops).

Just a couple quick photos for your approval.  Not very good quality I’m afraid, but you can see the redness of the fins.  They should look very nice indeed in a properly planted tank with a dark substrate.

I also have a couple of very nice males that BillT sent to me last spring.

Dennis

mikev
    Participant

Yes, look pretty good…. ty!

BillT
    Participant

@mikev said:
    I’d have ordered the “Fire Ring”‘s but I don’t know if the fish matches the photo… :(

I am pretty sure that the Wet Spot “fire Ring”‘s are the same. I have a friend who has a fish store in town who gets his Danios from them and he has them also.

Too much to ask for IMO Dennis. It’s not only the exporters at fault but also the importers and even fishkeepers. So many ignore proper names in favor of the sexier names. Some folks seem to prefer confusion. :)

I don’t think it is entirely a result of bad intent.

My take on the Wet Spot is that these people are not Danio experts. I don’t know about their knowledge of other kinds of fish. The Wet Spot, owner who I know, is a cichlid expert. The Wet Spot is basically the retail version of the Cichlid Exchange which originally a cichlid wholesaler. The people working there who deal with the fish when they come in are most likely not Danio experts either and they just take the names provided by the suppliers unless they know different. I have several times informed them of various corrections which they were glad to make once they had confirmed the fish’s identity, but then when they get a new version of the same fish from their supplier, the name has reverted back to the wrong one. I have also seen the same thing happen at local retail stores but with less interest in getting the name right. As a result, I would usually place the blame for wrong names on somewhere further up the supply chain. Whomever does this may be ignorant but is probably thinking a “new” or “different” fish will sell better, rather than it just pissing people off. Who knows? They may be gaining more in sales than they are hurt but a few knowledgeable people avoiding they products.

This thing used to aggregate me a lot, but now I just think of it as something that comes with the supply chain system as it is today. I try to see a fish or at least picture before I buy it.

Here is one of the fish I got that came from the Wet Spot, which I am assuming is a Devario assamensis The colors can change over time. Could be wrong, I am not as good on Devarios as Danios.

IMG_2664.jpg

BallAquatics
    Participant

I think your assessment of the WetSpot is entirely correct Bill.  As I stated before, each time I have ordered from them I have received fish that were in great condition and in my case, the fish were correctly identified.  The fact that they supply good quality photos with the fish is also a great help.  They are providing us a great service by offering these fish and it simply falls to the buyer to beware before making a purchase.

It’s certainly not an isolated problem either. Before the WetSpot started offering these often hard to find Danionins, I purchased from several other sources often with less than satisfying results.  These other sources didn’t have, and most of the time, could not get photos of the fish that were listed and were entirely at the mercy of the exporters.  While it was very aggravating to get the wrong fish, I don’t believe it was the fault of the people I was buying from, but rather the exporters as they were the only ones to benefit from the sale.

In the end, my hat is off to folks like the WetSpot, Franks Aquarium, and others for the risks they are talking to try and get us the fish we want.  If it wasn’t for them, my collection of Danionins would consist of Zebra, Leopard & Pearl Danios as these are all that I’ve found locally.

Dennis

Matt
    Keymaster

Isn’t this fire-ring fish the spotted form of D. kyathit, or possibly D. quagga?

BallAquatics
    Participant

I’ve always seen them sold as the spotted morph of Danio kyathit.  I like the common name of Ocelot Danio better than FireRing, we already have GoldRing – Danio tinwini.

Dennis

Plaamoo
    Participant

“I don’t think it is entirely a result of bad intent.”

Didn’t mean to imply that Bill. They have changed a few names at my behest. The local shop seems totally ambivalent. They can call them whatever they want but it aggravates my OCD :)

andy rushworth
    Participant

:) Sooo I take it nobody thinks this fish is Annandalei ?

BallAquatics
    Participant

@andy rushworth said:

:) Sooo I take it nobody thinks this fish is Annandalei ?

Hi Andy.  The spotting on the fish does look similar to the Hexazona photo of Devario annandalei.  The name “Burmese Blood Red….” would suggest that the fish was collected in Myanmar?

Dennis

mikev
    Participant

Seems possible indeed…

Matt
    Keymaster

Certainly looks like it!

BillT
    Participant

Why’s it look so red (or pinkish-purple)?

Could be differences in:

age/sex

different population, different genetics

different population, different something else (nutrition, chemical environment?)

dyeing of the fish (seems unlikely to me, but haven’t seen them),

poor photography (also seems unlikely)

The only big difference in color within a species of Devario that I have seen is some “Himalayan Lemon Danios” which for be started out similar and slightly yellow in parts, but after a few years the female became very yellow and the male became a kind of dull blue. I don’t think this kind of thing is documented very often.

andy rushworth
    Participant

The colour of the fish is reasonably close on the pic too how they appear in life  , Pier Aquatics had these in a while back ,quite beautiful they where too , they were sold as Chrysotataeniatus which they clearly aren’t !

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.