LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Diatoms?

Home Forums My Aquarium Diatoms?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

A friend of mine has sent me some pics of one of his tanks which is constantly developing the brown matter you see in the pics on plant leaves and the substrate. My first guess is that it’s a bloom of some kind of diatom?

James-M-1.JPGJames-M-2.JPGJames-M-3.JPG

BigTom
    Participant

Hmm. He doesn’t have a big Panaque or similar in there does he? Almost looks like sawdust.

Never suffered with diatoms myself but if that is what it is, then silicates in tap water are often a trigger. Soft water and low light apparently don’t help. I think this advice is probably sound – http://www.aquascapingworld.com/algaepedia/full_view_algae.php?item_id=79

coelacanth
    Participant

TBH, just looks like well-reduced debris to me, sort of stuff that settles out from snail or shrimp faeces in a tank with low circulation.

Rüdiger
    Participant

I’d have to agree with @coelacanth from what I can see in the pics. I’ve seen this very often in tanks when the mulm behind the HMF  was left to accumulate too long and the pump or uplift tube just blew the gunk back into the tank! Happens of cause, as mentioned above, due to low circulation too.

Regards

R.

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok thank chaps, will pass it on.

Matt
    Keymaster

Not sure this is mulm based on his reply. The tank has 2 filters on fuill blast so circulation doesn’t seem to be the issue, plus the stuff just keeps appearing no matter how many times the substrate is siphoned/water changes performed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.