LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Did you eat your vegetables???

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Did you eat your vegetables???

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Rüdiger 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Rüdiger
    Participant

A while back, I started to prepare some supplemental food source for my Otocinclus, since algae and Aufwuchs are scarce in my S.A. community tank. For that purpose I grind fresh greens, enrich them with Spirulina and some other ingredients, paste that gunge to a 5 cm terracotta pot and dry it in the oven. Until recently, the Otos were the only ones going bonkers for their little snack, while all other species ignored it.

But since I introduced a school of 14 Hemigrammus bleheri to the tank, things have changed somewhat. The first of those pots they encountered didn’t last an hour and the Otos hadn’t even noticed what was going on. Since then, the other fishes in the tank have learned and all species (except Carnegiella marthae) partake either actively by munching on the green stuff straight from the pot or passively by chasing down every single scrap that gets ripped off and floats in the water. No commercially available “vegetarian food” creates anything even faintly similar to the frenzy these little pots do.

Here’s the proof:

Futterglocke_001.jpgFutterglocke_002.jpgFutterglocke_003.jpgFutterglocke_004.jpgFutterglocke_005.jpgFutterglocke_006.jpgFutterglocke_007.jpgFutterglocke_008.jpgFutterglocke_009.jpgFutterglocke_017.jpgFutterglocke_018.jpgFutterglocke_019.jpg

C. agassizii come to mop the floor.

Futterglocke_010.jpg

Or shall we say “vacuum”??

Futterglocke_011.jpg

Eventually the frenzy subsides a bit and the intended beneficiaries get to harvest their share.

Futterglocke_012.jpgFutterglocke_013.jpgFutterglocke_014.jpgFutterglocke_015.jpgFutterglocke_016.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Very cool, I imagine something similar happens to fallen fruit in nature. What are the ‘fresh greens’ that you use for this Rudi?

Rüdiger
    Participant

Depending on what I can get Matt. This time around I had cabbage turnip leaves, very popular are beetroot leaves And of course spinach and chard. Soon there’ll be nettles again and all other kind of garden weeds. :-D As a general rule I observe what green stuffs wild animals eat and that I convert to fish food. Need to get more of those pots and supply the other tanks too, a test run yesterday was greeted with great enthusiasm all around! ;-)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.