LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Did You See?

Home Forums The Lounge Did You See?

This topic contains 37 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  David Marshall 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Folks

Did members with U.K. SKY see the programme broadcast yesterday, on the Japanese News Channel, about Public Aquaria in Japan?

The huge theme tanks were fantastic. One featured a large ‘ball’ of Pilchards trying to escape the attention of various Groupers. Another had Pirarucu, from the Amazon, and, when fed Herring, it was amazing to see just how wide these freshwater giants can stretch their mouths.

Research on Beluga Whales found that these majestic creatures have a brain that works in two sections. This means that the Whale can close one eye and sleep while the other eye remains open, and alert, to the threat of predators. Little Porpoises were trained to blow air rings.

Don’t want to upset Dunc but to keep ‘higher forms’ of Jellyfish alive these creatures were fed ‘lower forms’ of their kind.

Didn’t agree with every aspect of this programme but it was well worth watching.

Regards David

keith565
    Participant

sounds very interesting david, shame i missed it

Bluedave
    Participant

Not got Sky but it sounds like a great programme.

aking
    Participant

Hi David, can you get me the name of the Japanese News Channel that broadcast this programme, so i can see if its available to download anywhere.

Regards
    Anthony

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I didn’t see that one David but there is a good program coming up on National Geographic, Monster fish of the Congo will be on again on 28th of September.

I saw it a week or so ago and it was very interesting, they have found huge quantities of new species but they have worked out that due to the geographical nature of the river similar species in different areas of the river are evolving differently. Groups of fish are actually cut off from each other by the current which is unbelievably strong and the depth that in some areas reaches 100 metres.

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Anthony- Hope you are all okay and good to see you on SF forums. NHK World TV on Sky Channel 516. I don’t know the exact name of the programme, but it is usually shown on a Sunday morning, and is a science and nature programme in which two young couples interview all types of academics.

As part of their Tokyo shopping and leisure programme they had an interesting, but fleeting, feature on goldfish retail outlets that are situated on the roofs of Department Stores in Tokyo.

Mark – Yes I viewed this interesting programme. They could have done with another 15 minutes broadcast time as, to my mind, they rushed the last 10 minutes or so, just as the scientific people were starting to catalogue their ‘fish finds’.

‘Jewel of the Kalahari’ is also on NG at the present time and has some wondeful fish content.

Regards David

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Anthony

A friend tells me that the programme on NHK is called SCIENCE ZERO.

Regards David

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Folks

1st November 2009

What did U.K. members think of the BBC1 ‘Life’ documentary about fish that was screened this evening?

Would you have liked to have seen more freshwater fish featured?

Regards David

Mark Duffill
    Participant

Cant say I saw that one David

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey Mark

Well worth a watch. I think they will repeat this programme on Sunday?

Regards David

Bluedave
    Participant

or you can watch it on iplayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00nqbkb/Life_Fish/

I’m just about to!

Eyrie
    Participant

I would have preferred to see more FW. Feels like all the big ticket productions focus on marine.

Bluedave
    Participant

Yep, more freshwater would be good but theres only so much you can fit in a 50 minute program – really they should have a programme on FW and one on marine.

Was still an awesome watch though, some great cinematography. Really enjoyed the mudskippers and the sail fish were fantastic. I went fishing for sail fish on my last day of freedom a few years ago – didn’t catch any but my dad and dad in law caught some nice tuna that we had barbequed for our wedding dinner!

David Marshall
    Participant

Hey

Yes I enjoyed the ‘Life’ programme. Loved the Convict fish and their large flock of youngsters. When I made the first post was disappointed by the small number of freshwater fish covered and was correct in my thought that other SF members would be also.

However:

This Wednesday (4th November) The Natural World (BBC2 at 2000) is all about life in and around the Zambezi River. Hopefully will see a variety of freshwater fish on this one?

Regards David

Matt
    Keymaster

I have a friend here in Barca who’s off to the Zambezi next week. Have asked him to get some pictures for us. Would love to see that programme; in Spain documentaries aren’t really popular.

Author
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.