LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Discus

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Phill Austen 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Amy
    Participant

Discus seem to be bright and colourful (discus pics) and different from dunc’s usual choices of main fish in tanks (like his daemon which are still pretty /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

dunc
    Keymaster

Hehe as you can see I can’t decide what I want..

Amy
    Participant

I can’t remember if angel fishies liked hotter places too, what about them instead of the discus?

dunc
    Keymaster

Altum Angels like similar temperatures to Discus but they don’t seem all that common in NE England.

Matt
    Keymaster

Discus just don’t “do it” for me. I’ve only kept them once, years ago before university. They were one of the selectively-bred blue types (no idea which) and I found them easy enough. Kept them with an assorted motley crew of tetras and cories but got rid of them after a year or so. I’d still get the Africans or something like dwarf Crenicichla!

dunc
    Keymaster

Hehe yeah I know mate. They’re not particularly my dream fish either, I’m just thinking that they could potentially be the ideal candidate. I think everyone has to keep Discus once /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

Richy
    Participant

Angels, I’d never get any again!!! Discus, never had any myself but friends have and they eventually gave them away as they were terrible parents, either kept eating the eggs or let the fry go for about 5-10 days then scoffed them /sad.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:(” border=”0″ alt=”sad.gif” />
    I still wouldn’t mind trying discus sometime though but not the right time for me

ndc
    Participant

go for wild ones – they behave more like you expext cichlids to – i would never keep ‘farmed’ fish as they have been so line bred they just arent like the original fish in look or temprament any more – theres also more of a challenge in getting them to breed – only problem is they are a bit more expensive

Malti
    Participant

well I know about someone who’s bred them sucessfully…and a mate of mine has a couple of their young. the secret seems to be, to find local bred, as the imports die due to changes in water type.

can i post a link to another forum? there are pics and vids

Matt
    Keymaster

I agree with Neill, if you get them try wilds. Same goes for angels too.

dunc
    Keymaster

Feel free, Malti

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE(Malti @ Jun 1 2008, 09:15 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    can i post a link to another forum? there are pics and vids

Depends on the subject matter!

Malti
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ Jun 1 2008, 02:07 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Depends on the subject matter! /wacko.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wacko:” border=”0″ alt=”wacko.gif” /> /tongue.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:p” border=”0″ alt=”tongue.gif” /> click

Matt
    Keymaster

QUOTE(Malti @ Jun 1 2008, 02:52 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    unless you have fish in your adult section

….ahem

Neal-DA
    Participant

Discus are an aquired taste for sure..

Iv kept them on and off for years but always ended up turning my tank over to something else..
    They are simple enough to keep and feed, the problem is keeping them happy, the first group i had were overly aggressive with eachother, the second were very shy

Im with everyone else on this one, if you get get your hands on a group of wild or F1 Blues or greens then you will be very happy with them, but dont bother with the farmed shite

BTW dunc, i knew someone selling regani, give me a shout if your still interested

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.