LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Dishwashers Harbour 'killer Bugs'

Home Forums The Lounge Dishwashers Harbour 'killer Bugs'

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Bluedave 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Bojan Dolenc
    Participant

Black Yeasts: Exophiala dermatitidis & Exophiala phaeomuriformis!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthne…iller-bugs.html
    For many householders, it is most sparkling area of the kitchen. But the inside of people’s dishwashers could be harbouring potentially lethal bugs, according to scientists.
    The scientists studied 189 dishwashers in 101 different homes around the world. They found 62 per cent of dishwashers contained fungi on the rubber band in the door. More than half of these included the black yeasts Exophiala dermatitidis and E. phaeomuriformis which are known to be dangerous to human health.
    Writing in the journal Fungal Biology, Dr Polona Zalar of the University of Ljubljana, said that “the potential hazard they represent should not be overlooked”.
    Her co-author Nina Gunde-Cimerman told The Daily Telegraph: “One thing that is not in the report is that we tested the dishes after they had been cleaned in these dishwashers and they were full of this black yeast, so too the cutlery that you put in your mouth. We just don’t know how serious this could be.”
    Zalar P., Novak M., de Hoog G.S., Gunde-Cimerman N. (2011): Dishwashers – a man-made ecological niche accommodating human opportunistic fungal pathogens. Fungal Biology
    Nina Gunde-Cimerman, Martin Grube and Sybren de Hoog.(2011): The emerging potential of melanized fungi: Black yeast between Beauty and the Beast. Fungal Biology, doi:10.1016/j.funbio.2011.05.003

Matt
    Keymaster

Don’t have a dishwasher but could this be a potential vector for the necessary human cull as discussed elsewhere?

Plaamoo
    Participant

Interesting thought Matt. I was contemplating this earlier and thinking it would be good to engineer the next plague to affect the well off, who IMO are more responsible for exploitation, instead of the the poor who usually take the brunt of such an event.
    I don’t have a dishwasher either, never have.

Bluedave
    Participant

you don’t need to be well off to have a dishwasher!

It’s like anything – if you don’t clean it it gets dirty – just because it cleans your dishes doesn’t mean you don’t have to clean seals, filters etc that block up with all the crap that you forget to scrape into the bin……

Bit like hair in the bath plug hole……..(can’t find the Barf smiley)

ferox
    Participant

QUOTE (Bluedave @ Jun 23 2011, 01:01 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>

The company my wife worked for was clearing out industrial premises and we fell heir to a virtually new one which would otherwise have ended up on a skip. /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

With further reference to the cull discussed elsewhere, I’m all for it provided I’m not one of the tetras that get picked off by egrets so please let me know in advance if you decide to implement the cull through contaminated dishwater pellets – the product known as Finish would be an appropriate choice.

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

Hmmm,

wonder if this is how a dictatorship starts? Let´s kill of the rich people, all rich people have dishwashers don´t they? Yeah let´s finish them off! You´re heading down the same path as Pol Pot but with dishwashers instead of glasses

Plaamoo
    Participant

There’s a huge portion of the world population that might disagree Dave. Put aircondioners & forced air furances on the list of things tha also harbor nasties if not cleaned.

I’m all for it provided I’m not one of the tetras that get picked off by egrets so please let me know in advance

Don’t think it’s fair to call for a cleanseing and not include yourself in the lottery!

Hmmm,

wonder if this is how a dictatorship starts? Let´s kill of the rich people, all rich people have dishwashers don´t they? Yeah let´s finish them off! You´re heading down the same path as Pol Pot but with dishwashers instead of glasses wink.gif

If there should be a cull I got a better list.

Didn’t mean to kill off all the rich Senor, just include them equally in the mix. I live in a silly country where only the rich can afford healthcare and I’m not one of them! pissin’ me off!!
    Ahh Pol Pot, interesting point. I’ve spent a good bit of time in Cambodia. His efforts did not have a positive result!

Lets see your list

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

No offense meant plaamoo just trying to be funny, if there should be a culling I agree some (most) of the rich should be the first to go. I´ve seen Michael Moores “Sicko”, it´s,a real shame you can´t get proper health care, no one chooses to be sick.

My list is more from a point of wich people make my everyday life a bit worse, so here goes:

1. People owning SUV:s (no point in driving a mini lorry)

2. People who get of an escalator and stand still since they don´t know wich way to go.

3. Bikers owning a motorcycle that emmits a sound over a certain decibel.

4. People who don´t pick up what their dog left.

5. People feeling they have the right to patmy children witout asking me first.

The list goes on but it´s not seriously meant as you can understand.

Plaamoo
    Participant

No offense meant plaamoo just trying to be funny

Understood, me too! Everything I’ve said is with a bit of tongue in cheek. Sort of playing devil’s advocate. Though obviously with some foundation in my own beliefs. I just like to throw stuff out there and see what comes back

Bluedave
    Participant

6. People that sit in the outside lane of the motorway doing 60 when theres nothing in the other lanes.

7. Union leaders – i’m sure they do some good (or maybe they did a few years ago when nobody had any rights etc) but if you don’t like your job, leave it and get another one instead of striking and making my life difficult – besides you make more money than me, working half the hours (this coming thursday has annoyed me!).

8. People that jump the queue and then take offense when you tell them there’s a queue!

9. People that let their kids run riot in the pub/restaurant/on a plane etc while they are busy getting sozzled. I go to great lengths to ensure my kids are quiet and well behaved so as not to bother other people – whats your excuse!

10. British rail or what ever it’s called nowadays – if I get on a train from Preston to London in the morning it costs me £100, if I get on a train from Lancaster to London it costs me £37 -ITS THE SAME TRAIN so why is it £60 more expensive to get on a stop 15 minutes closer?

11. Architects that insist on calling a meeting with 20,000 people present to discuss a tiny little element of a building – whats wrong with picking up the phone?

12. People that copy in the whole world on an E-mail when they think you have screwed up and then get the arse when you respond showing them to be idiots and copy the whole world in.

13. Anybody who starts a sentence with ” I don’t mean to offend you but…….”

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.