LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Dugastella valentina

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Dugastella valentina

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Shrimp newbie here. Some of the female Dugastella collected at the end of last summer are now carrying eggs. Incubation apparently lasts for several weeks but I’ve no idea what to do once the young are released. These are atyids so related to Neocaridina spp. and other shrimp in the hobby.

So, are the larger shrimp likely to eat them and will I need to provide supplemental food beyond what I give the adults? There’s plenty of green algae in the tank and they get crushed tablet food or ZM fry food several times per week.

oaken
    Participant

I honestly don’t have that much experience with shrimp but the common Neocaridina and Caridina morphs don’t eat their young. And they supposedly do fine with eating whatever the adults are eating. A lot of people use dried beech and oak leaves as a supplemental food for their shrimp and I assume the young eats them too.

Colin
    Participant

yeah just what Oaken said – i do nothing special and they appear… agree with the idea about dead leaves and worth having a few rocks in tanks outside just to gather algae and swap them over in the tanks from time to time

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

Kept shrimp once (and sorry to say stiil keep them) they where (are) Crystal Black so Caridina sp.. They where no challenge too breed but hell to get rid of. I had mine in an old tank I had kept fish in before so there was plenty of muck for them to eat so I never fed them.

When I got to about 60 in a 20 litre tank I sold some of them and fed my fish with rest ( I know it´s cruel and so forth). Only problem is, they are really fast and can obviously outsmart fish because when I check the tanks where I used them as feeders there are plenty of them left.

Cockroaches of the sea (or streams rather) I say!

Matt
    Keymaster

Ok thanks chaps, I’ll just leave them be and see what happens then. The adults are starting to change colour too. Were just plain before but now I’ve got some red and green ones. Pretty cool.

oaken
    Participant

Pictures?

Matt
    Keymaster

Will try – aquarium currently on floor.

Author
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.