LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Dwarf Cichlids And Discus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Dwarf Cichlids And Discus

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  1077 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Johnnyboy
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’m new on here after stumbling across the knowledge base section by chance.

I was wondering if anyone has kept dwarf cichlids with discus and which ones (if any) are suitable to cope with the high temperatures of the discus tank. My tank is at 30C and contains 5 discus, 3 bristlenose catfish 3 corydoras sterbai and various tetras. It is heavily planted and contains some bogwood so there are plenty of hiding places.

I’m not looking to breed them in this environment as I think it highly unlikely that any fry would survive.

Any info and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

John

Mark Duffill
    Participant

I have kept Checkerboard Cichlid – Crenicara filamentosa, Microgeophagus ramirezi and both Apistogramma macmasteri and aggassizi with Discus in the past and had no problems.

nmhilton71
    Participant

Nannacara Anomala did well in my Discus set up.

Bluedave
    Participant

I’m sure I replied to this before………….oh well must be going muh….muh….muh……mad!

I have kept both Apisto Agasizi and Rams (I never get there latin name right – to me they are microgeophagus ramirezi ?). Both were fine, in fact the Rams spawned on a regular basis – never any fry though as everything else in the tank took too much of an interest!

Apisto’s used to give the discus a hard time when breeding – the sight of a little 2 or 3″ fish chasing the kings of the aqaurium was quite amusing but in a larger tank there shouldn’t be much trouble.

Johnnyboy
    Participant

Thanks for the responses folks.

Yes BlueDave you did reply before but I thought if i put a proper question in the main forum I would get more success.

I was thinking of rams, aggasizii or viejita, hongsloi or bitaeniata if they are available. I will also bear in mind the Crenicara filamentosa now.

It’s off to the shops now to see what I can find.

Cheers,

John

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi John depending on the size of your tank any of those should be fine but the Crenicara or rams would be my choice. It’s Mikrogeophagus, by the way.

dunc
    Keymaster

Both Crenicara filamentosa and C. maculatus are now Dicrossus. You might have more luck searching for information about them with the current valid scientific name.

Definitely another vote for the Dicrossus here.

Matt
    Keymaster

Valid point.

Participant

Perhaps 30C is a bit warm for the Bristlenose in the longterm. I have found that 82 F is about the upper limit for their longterm health.
    Have also kept the german blue ram and the gold variety, with Discus and found them to get along nicely, although the Discus displayed a fondness for the eggs of these little fish. But given that OP has no interest in spawnings from same,I say go for it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.