LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Dwarf eartheaters

Home Forums My Aquarium Dwarf eartheaters

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  coelacanth 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

roycarballo
    Participant

Question:
    Besides the Biotodomas (Cupid and wavrini), the Gymnogeophagus altispinus, and  Guyanacara, there is some other variety of eartheaters cichlids no higher than 12 cm?

nuchal man
    Participant

Not familiar with Gymnogeophagus altispinus, do you mean Mikrogeophagus altispinosus?

If you don’t mind keeping a West African cichlids, Chromidotilapia guntheri acts a lot a Geophagus sifting through sand all day. It’s also interesting as it is a paternal mouthbrooder. Also a very attractive fish that stays around 12 cm.

Biotoecus sp. are real dwarf sand sifters and only get around 5 cm. They can be tricky to keep however.

Even the Pelvicachromis types do a lot of earth eating, but again, if you want to stick to South American cichlids, you’re out of luck.

There are a lot more earth eating cichlids out there, just not many that stay under 12 cm. I see you are in Costa Rica. I do research on cichlids there and have spent a lot of time in the rivers. Some of the best fish to watch eartheat are Astatheros species, notably, Astatheros rostratus and Astatheros altifrons

Hope that helps!

KittyKat
    Participant

@roycarballo said:
    Besides […] the Gymnogeophagus altispinus […], there is some other variety of eartheaters cichlids no higher than 12 cm?

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi is another one to consider, if you are thinking about Mikrogeophagus altispinosus

coelacanth
    Participant

Apistogramma steindachneri can do a pretty good impression of an eartheater when given a sand substrate. The smaller Gymnogeophagus (such as rhabdotus) tend to stay manageable.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.