LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

E.Kalotaenia

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  mikev 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

The fry is a bit under 2cm

http://rainbow-fish.org/fishpic/erka-baby.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Awesome Mike!!! More details please!

mikev
    Participant

No details, I don’t know what happened. :(

Big screwup: the tank developed green water about a month ago, until yesterday the lights were kept off, and I was doing extra water changes. When I turned the lights on finally, I saw the baby. I never saw them spawning, and never saw eggs. It is probably one month old.. the fish and the fry are very similar to disparis, so it would be about 1 month old *if the same rate of growth* applies. Very strange but all the females look even more gravid then before, so maybe they will do this again…. unless green water or large w/c are required triggers.

If you decide to make a profile, all you can really say is that “occasional fry is possible”.

I posted adult photos somewhere on this forum before (cannot find where), so easier to go here.

I saw the adults chasing it a bit, but at this size it is safe plus the adults do not like being on top of the driftwood, this is where the fry grazes.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Nice Mike!

mikev
    Participant

Thank you, Jim!

torso
    Participant

Great to hear that, Mike.

Cheers Charles

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks Mike. Is it such a “big screw up” though? I don’t think so…

mikev
    Participant

I was really hoping to see how they do it and how the fry matures…. in part because I suspect the fish is really closer to disparis than seems from the current classification. The baby looks too much like the adults already, I missed the development totally….

And if I have not missed the spawn, I would have likely had more than one fry (with disparis, the yield on removed eggs is way higher )

Hopefully, eventually, but not this time… at least we know this is possible… and looking at the adult females in the tank I see that they are all very gravid still, worse than before.

mikev
    Participant

Here is some unusual (for a hillie) behavior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnLK4wAmps0

(Still only one… and now I have — again one :( — P.laticeps baby. )

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.