LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Eastern Newts – Notophthalmus viridescens

Home Forums Invertebrates & Other Critters Eastern Newts – Notophthalmus viridescens

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Thomas 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)
  • Author

Thomas

Update

N-Juvenil22.jpgN-Juvenil23.jpgN-Juvenil24.jpgN-Juvenil25.jpgN-Juvenil26.jpgN-Juvenil27.jpgN-Juvenil28.jpgN-Juvenil29.jpgN-Juvenil30.jpg

Thomas

In the cellar the temperature was 12°C and the adults start to getting active, so I end the overwintering and take them back into the fish room.

Directly from the cellar:

Winter1.jpg

Five minutes later:

Winter2.jpg

A closer look:

Winter3.jpg

Now I have started the water adaption. hope all works well like last year.

Thomas

That was quick, first male is starting to put on the wedding suit. Note the dark tiptoes at the hind limbs.

Water1.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Is this early for them Thomas or same as last time?

Thomas

Yes, last year it goes from mid of december till mid of march (12 weeks), this year it began in mid of november and ceased in the beginning of january (7 weeks)
    While the 12 weeks last year there were times where the temperature was round about 13°C and the newts were very active. This doesn’t happens this year.

Both males are now in water, and the female in an extra tank seems to do it the same…:)

Thomas

Cool

Ei.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

:D

Thomas

Eggs, eggs, lots of eggs

Eier.jpg

Weibchen.jpg

Thomas

And the first larvaes. Till know seven.

Larve1.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Cute! Wish these could be posted. :p

Jrp
    Participant

I had some great luck this weekend in finding eastern newts for the first time in the wild. I was checking out some vernal pools in a local state park and found adults and tadpoles along with huge numbers of wood frog tadpoles, American toad eggs (and spawning adults) and what I think are spotted salamander eggs. I had checked these pools out many times over the years but this is the first time I have seen newts. The bottom of both pools are covered with fallen leaves so I can see how I missed them. They blended in well with the background and had plenty of places to hide. Now I can check back over the summer and hopefully will be able to find some red efts. Laugh

Thomas

One of the adults, a cb 2013 and one cb 2014 Smile

3gen1.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Really great Thomas – do you keep all the generations together?

Thomas

No Matt, the cb 2014 are in a separate small tank. The cb 2013 and the adults live together.

Thomas

Since mid of november it’s overwintering time again. Maybe in the beginning of january I can start the operation F2. The cb 2013 are then nearly two years old.

I have taken a shot while controlling their health. On the pic are three adults and two of the cb 2013.

n_winter2014.jpg

Cheers,

Thomas

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.