LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Elassoma evergladei

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Elassoma evergladei

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  mikev 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

Got a tankfull of these little sunfish. Over the last few weeks fry of various sizes have begun to take it over – the parents seemingly ignoring them. I removed the adults a few days ago in order to grow the young fish on for selling at auctions in the coming year.

I was checking them out this morning (using a magnifying glass) and was watching one of the “larger” fry. It was about 10mm or so. There was a smaller fry in front of it, they were face to face. The little one was about 6mm. You can no doubt guess what happened next. The larger fry gulped the small fry down. It couldn’t quite manage it all and the small fry’s tail was sticking out for a minute or so until it worked it into it’s belly.

So yes, if breeding these it does seem that the parents ignore the fry. But you can be sure the fry don’t ignore each other.

elassoma_evergladei.jpg

Rüdiger
    Participant

Yep Graham, I have to second that!

And frustratingly it does not make the slightest difference if you saturate the tank with live food much more convenient for their size, they just can’t resist snacking on their own kind!

Regards

R.

Matt
    Keymaster

What’s the natural habitat of this species like? Any other fishes?

BigTom
    Participant

@matt said:
    What’s the natural habitat of this species like? Any other fishes?

Don’t have sources to hand Matt, but did a bit of reading about these guys a while ago. Distribution here – http://eol.org/pages/207190/maps.

Typically in overgrown ditches, pools and swamps in dense vegetation and leaf litter, lays eggs preferentially in hornwort. Presumably overlaps with various killifish, but I don’t know anything about them as a group so wouldn’t like to name names! Think I read somewhere often found with gambusia.

Hopefully someone else can be a bit more authorative!

Rüdiger
    Participant

Hi Matt,

the only helpful thing I could ever find is here. It’s from the German fish keeping magazine DATZ but I’m sure you’ll cope. 🙂

At the bottom of page 3 there’s a table with sympatric species.

Regards

R.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Are you all aware of this site?

http://www.nanfa.org/

http://www.nanfa.org/articles/elassoma.shtml

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about our native fishes. Need to change that!

mikev
    Participant

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about our native fishes. Need to change that!

This one is on my list to try this summer (hard to find them this time of the year).

Rüdiger
    Participant

Yeah Jim,

especially because you guys got a couple of real stunners swimming right in your backyard. 🙂 There are quite a few species I’m still interested in too. Especially the “darters” that Stefan seems to be quite busy with these days. 🙂

Regards

R.

Matt
    Keymaster

Etheostoma would be really high on my list as well but far too warm here. 🙁 I do accept full responsibility for Stefan’s current geekery though!

Jim, what native species live in your area?

Plaamoo
    Participant

@matt said:
    Jim, what native species live in your area?

Mostly salmonids Matt. Nothing that would be in the aquarium trade.  This one is interesting though I haven’t seen it.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/nooksack.pdf

And this guy, I think it’s cottus asper

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z229/bigsky_photos/bumgun1_04.jpg

mikev
    Participant

Etheostoma would be really high on my list as well but far too warm here.

probably not, at least for some species. My older orangethroat darter group is still ok after 3 years of being kept at 70-80F (3 years is supposed to be the lifespan).

…..

Ugghh…. the guy I’m getting darters from got some of Elassoma evergladei in now… what does one need for a group of 6? planted 5g?

Rüdiger
    Participant

Hi Mike,

I’m keeping a group of 5 in a 27 l cube and wouldn’t go with much less. That is if there’s more than one male. They don’t do any damage when sorting out who’s boss really but do get quite distracted from the “main business at hand”. :-)

And plants, YES, ….. MANY!

Regards

R.

Matt
    Keymaster

@mikev said:

Etheostoma would be really high on my list as well but far too warm here.

probably not, at least for some species. My older orangethroat darter group is still ok after 3 years of being kept at 70-80F (3 years is supposed to be the lifespan).

…..

Ugghh…. the guy I’m getting darters from got some of Elassoma evergladei in now… what does one need for a group of 6? planted 5g?

The water temperature rises to 90°F+ in the summer, and for an extended period of time. Lost the Gastromyzon and Acanthopsoides in August this year. 🙁

mikev
    Participant

Yuck, this is bad indeed….

I use A/C during the summer to keep the temperature under 82F…anything higher would kill off some species…

Still, not hopeless, darter-wise, Etheostoma fusiforme should be able to handle this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_darter :

No other darter is found as far south as E. fusiforme.

Plaamoo: if you want to give darters a try, check these guys… this is the latest fish I got. Very nice and (I hope I am not making this up!) they seem to be making a faint click when surface-feeding.

Plaamoo
    Participant

There are many fish I’d like to try Mike but no room 😥 They are nice!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.