LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Elassoma evergladei

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Elassoma evergladei

This topic contains 46 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Eurasian 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

Thanks guys for all the info… after a more interrogation it turned out that the guy who distributes them keeps them primarily on artemia, so this is doable… if I can find some more space somehow … this is problematic with all the fry in small tanks now that will demand bigger tanks soon. I’ll try.

while I’m looking at the possibly interesting native fish: does anyone know anything about these critters per chance?. (I think I’ll end up getting some more darters and sleepers but I need something new to try too).

Matt
    Keymaster

Great article Rudi – the conclusion seems to be that Elassoma is nested within perciformes as sister to Centrarchidae?

Mike, Cyprinodon care is pretty similar to Aphanius as far as I know but if it’s a lake-dwelling species you may want to check if there are any specific conditions required.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Good info in this thread. I have to get some of these natives! They are small 🙂

http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/12456-elassoma-id-photos/

mikev
    Participant

yes, a nice thread indeed.

it seems like keeping them with swamp darters may be the way to get more out of them….thinking… :(

incidentally, l.goodei are much shier than I expected. They hide under the sponge filter with only quick runs to grab food…. I wonder what would happen if one mixes them with white clouds (the shape and markings are similar enough).

Rüdiger
    Participant

@plaamoo said:
    ……………………….I have to get some of these natives! ……………………

Hi Jim,

dont know if you’ve got those papers?

Conservation Status of Imperiled North American Freshwater and Diadromous Fishes

An overview of North America’s diminutive freshwater fish fauna

Just to whet your appetite even more. 😀

Regards

R.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Thanks Rudi!

mikev
    Participant

Warning: Intend to resurrect this thread, beware!

I have E. evergladei as of yesterday … small ones, 1cm or so, but fun they sure are.

I could not resist experimenting just a bit and offered them grindals: works, at least three sunfishes ate them… but most of the worms disappeared into gravel too fast….need to get them a plate.

Plaamoo
    Participant

Good one Mike! I’ve wanted them for a long time. Look forward to pics.

Hey, resurrect Rudiger while you’re at it will ya? :) Where are you Rudi??

Matt
    Keymaster

Very good Mike thought you had no tank space? Laugh And yes where is Rudi??? 

mikev
    Participant

I don’t…. but I also have about ten tanks with useless fish (old, slowly dying)… I’m squeezing them a bit. Not killing anyone, just moving to smaller tanks… :(

If Rudi gets reanimated please a few words about the aggression level…. I just saw two small males fighting… not much of a fight yet, but best to know what to expect.

Matt, if you ever add profile, this is a good ref.
    http://www.nanfa.org/articles/elassoma.shtml

In particular, interesting quote

stated that Elassoma was a neotenous sunfish—that is, capable of being sexually mature as a juvenile.

Yeah, I was wondering … juveniles obviously, but the way a couple of males colored up… wow.

Matt
    Keymaster

Cool, at least some Aphanius are also capable of this.

mikev
    Participant

Yeah, there is some similarity to Aphanius.

I can only compare to my A.iberus … elassoma is much prettier but also seems much more aggressive… even the miniature males I have now argue repeatedly…. despite hearing all the horror stories about Aphanius aggression, I’ve never seen any.

Matt
    Keymaster

A. iberus is one of the more placid species – it is generally the larger ones such as A. villwocki and some forms of A. mento (which is a complex containing several species that may even represent a separate genus) that are more aggressive in my experience.

mikev
    Participant

Hmm.. I did not know they come in different sizes…. I guess now I want a larger species ideally still peaceful: any names you can suggest?

PS. regarding A.iberus: it seems like to maintain them I need to breed them every 1.5 years…. keeping them too warm for sure.

Matt
    Keymaster

They sure do, here are pics of wild A. villwocki from the type locality and A. mento from Kirkgöz Spring which we collected on the Turkey trip last year. Both of these are fairly aggressive in confined spaces.

A.-villwocki.jpgA.-mentoides.jpg

As regards a larger, peaceful species I don’t know. Perhaps some form(s) of A. dispar may fit the bill but I’ve no experience with that one so far.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.