LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Emily

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  andrew 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

johnpeten
    Participant

My largest Mayan Cichlid has reached 5 inches and has become a pet. She now has a 40 UK gallon tank to herself, apart from a school of Characins. The other cichlids have had to be removed. The tank is next to my “Lazy Boy” so when I finaly get to relax I have company. She comes to the end of the tank and frantically wags her head until I feed her. If I pick up my camera she scoots into her cave. If anybody comes into the room she hides. She always has her fins erect. I have noticed that this is apparently a sign of contentment, which I have seen in other cichlids. During the day she has no colour. After dark I snapped a shot of her in her boudoir showing her vertical bands.

You will notice in my photos that the limestone rocks are stained with a reddish pigment. This pigment was a favorite colour used by the Ancient Maya 2,000 years ago in their great cities. I assume it is an iron oxide. The picture is an artists reconstruction of El Mirador the Mayas largest City which is 40 miles to the north of Lake Peten, buried in the jungle. The major structures are still intact although damaged by jungle growth.
    You may find this video interesting. http://www.globalheritagefund.org/video/mi…ador_video.html

Attached files

andrew
    Participant

I had a pair of Mayan cichlids a few years ago – can’t remember the species of the top of my head – and they are real characters. Seems like Emily is too!

johnpeten
    Participant

Hi Andrew
    I buy Aquarium plants from Singapore. The Singapore postal service is super fast with their deliveries. The plants do surprisingly well. My only failure was with Java Moss, which is supposed to grow like crazy. I am now making a second attempt with Java Moss.
    regards
    John

andrew
    Participant

Hi John – the singapore postal service is effectively a government body, and like most government bodies here, they get things done incredibly quickly – mostly because labour is so cheap and they throw people at it!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.