LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

English fishes…

Home Forums Field Trips & Conservation English fishes…

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  coelacanth 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

…and their habitats near the source of the River Nene, Northamptonshire, England.

Attached files

Colin
    Participant

Very nice, Matt

coelacanth
    Participant

The UK Bullhead is now C. perifretum according to Freyhof et al. I did pull me face a bit when that paper came out, don’t mind forrin fish being messed around but Cottus gobio is a name that I learnt at a very young age. Same with Gasterosteus gymnurus for the western UK form of the Stickleback.

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks for the plant names Colin and yeah you’re right of course Pete. Thread title edited accordingly. Any idea if this is G. gymnurus then? The habitat is slap bang in the centre of the country but I don’t see scutes on the caudal peduncle??

Stefan

Very nice Matt

Senor Bastardo
    Participant

Great pics Matt!

Got an itchy trigger finger with the new camera?

Matt
    Keymaster

Thanks chaps! Krister these weren’t taken with the new cam – I was in England for a couple of weeks and had to borrow my brother’s.

Stefan

What new cam?

coelacanth
    Participant

QUOTE (Matt @ Jul 5 2011, 10:38 AM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Any idea if this is G. gymnurus then? The habitat is slap bang in the centre of the country but I don’t see scutes on the caudal peduncle??

Eastern-flowing river so should be aculeatus or a hybrid form between gymnurus and aculeatus, although canals etc. which cross the country will alter distribution patterns. I should probably get the paper concerned, if nothing else all the specimens in the museum collection here probably need to be renamed. I wouldn’t be surprised if a taxonomic lumper puts them all back in together anyway at some point.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.