LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Enigma Of The True Tiger Barb ?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Enigma Of The True Tiger Barb ?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  andy rushworth 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

andy rushworth
    Participant

I know the Black Fin Tiger Barb [P.tetrazona] was discassed on here a while back /thumbs_up.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:thumbsup:” border=”0″ alt=”thumbs_up.gif” />

What has confused me though is the fish on Aquarium Glasers site has the black completely covering the fins ,whereas the fish depicted in the book Freshwater Fishes Of Western Indonesia And Sulawesi has a white or clear edge on the dorsal and ventral fins , similar in style to P.anchisporus’s red edge [ aquarium Tiger Barb ] can anyone enlighten me on this situation ?

Matt
    Keymaster

Andy I assume you mean the two pics below? Looking closely I think the Glaser fish has very thin, pale distal bands on the dorsal and ventrals which could perhaps appear wider in a preserved specimen as in the Kottelat book?

The nomenclature situation is still unresolved as far as I know. here’s the original thread.

Attached files

andy rushworth
    Participant

Hi Matt, if there is a distal band on the Glaser fish /blink.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:blink:” border=”0″ alt=”blink.gif” />

Funnily enough there is a similar thread on the Practical Fish forum ,and Dieter Bork puts a photo of a live specimen up , but the distal band is quite distinct like Kottelats preserved specimen , I suppose the Glaser fish might be a youngster [it looks it ] it would be nice if Dieter Bork could enlighten us about this trait ,as he has bred them ! /wub.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:wub:” border=”0″ alt=”wub.gif” /> .

Matt
    Keymaster

Hehe, yeah. I was referring to the very tips of the rays/membranes where some parts are showing paler. Just checked the thread you mention and the fish posted there does look different though!

Anyone know Dieter to ask him?

retro_gk
    Participant

I think the picture on Glaser’s website shows a displaying male (red nose, I remember reading a long time ago that tiger barbs can be sexed by the males developing a very red nose when “excited”), which might account for the greater amount of black on the fins. The black pigment may not be so prominent otherwise.

Wish I could get a few of those

Matt
    Keymaster

Think the Glaser fish might be P. pulcher as revalidated by Kottelat and Tan (2011)? It seems to fit the characters given quite well.

Edit: here follow the three species in the P. tetrazona group found in Borneo and Sumatra, then the aquarium fish.

P. anchisporus: complete lateral line, 14 circumpeduncular scales, 21-23+2 scales in the lateral row, dorsal-fin black with red outer band, pelvic fins red.

Distribution: Western Borneo.

Here are some wild P. anchisporus from Sarawak.

Puntius-anchisporus.jpg

Puntius-Sarawak-2.jpgPuntius-Sarawak-6.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

P. tetrazona: lateral line incomplete, 12 circumpeduncular scales, 19-21+2 scales in the lateral row, dorsal fin mostly black with paler outer margin, pelvic fins black in middle, hyaline at base and tip, vertical body stripes relatively wide (about 2.5 scales wide in middle of flank).

Distribution: Sumatra.

Need photos of live fish for this species. Edit, maybe this?

Puntius_tetrazona.jpg

post-3-1308600629.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

P. pulcher: lateral line incomplete, 12 circumpeduncular scales, 19-21+2 scales in the lateral row, dorsal fin entirely black, pelvic fins entirely black, vertical body stripes relatively thin (about 1.5 scales wide in middle of flank).

Distribution: eastern Borneo.

Wild specimens from East Kalimantan, plus the Glaser fish:

Puntius.jpg

post-3-1308600622-1.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster
    Aquarium tiger barbs show intermediate characters including: lateral line incomplete, dorsal-fin black with red outer band, pelvic fins red. I’m still confused.:?
    Puntius-tetrazona-female.jpg

Puntius-tetrazona-RC-2.jpgPuntius-tetrazona-RC-1.jpg

andy rushworth
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.