LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Epson Salt?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Malti 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

seriously discus
    Participant

Could someone enlighten me as to what ‘epson’ salt is and why it’s used?My Discus has been suffering from constipation,so besides cutting down on feeds i had someone tell me to use epson salt.And how much would i need to put into a 212ltr. tank?
    Thanks,
    Shiv

Matt
    Keymaster

Hey Shiv. Epsom Salts are basically a compound of Magnesium sulphate and water. I’m not sure about their availability in India but they are used for all sorts of medical purposes over here.

seriously discus
    Participant

I can get epsom salt here but what i wanted to know is that is it really used on fish with a constipation problem and if yes how do i administer it?Can you give me details?
    Thanks,
    Shiv

mickthefish
    Participant

yeah one of the uses for humans is it’s used if you have an upset stomach.

mick

andrew
    Participant

To be honest, i’d steer away from it if you have any other option. There are not enough reliable studies carried out yet on fish that show any benefit of magnesium sulphate. If you think your fish are constipated, i’d increase the live food in the first instance.

mickthefish
    Participant

Andrew studies are fine, but knowing the people who use it and tell of the rewards is a better bet, alot of the goldfish crowd here use it for a few things, for stress, and for swinbladder problems and they say it works fine with no ill affects to the fish.
    i also have a mate who is a biggish name in rift valley cichlids he uses it to up his ph in the tanks and has also said it works in preventing malawi bloat.

mick

Malti
    Participant

believe it or not…can’t find any to buy around here…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.