LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Etheostoma thalassinum

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Etheostoma thalassinum

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

mikev
    Participant

http://rainbow-fish.org/fishpic/seagreen.jpg

(The color varies during the day, at its best it is that of spirulina powder, but on the photo he seems to be trying to match the moss.)

Matt
    Keymaster

Very nice! How many do you have?

mikev
    Participant

Not sure. :(

I have eight which are supposed to be all the same species, but only this male (not the largest either) would color up green… and interestingly when I added a little patch of moss yesterday he right away took a position in it. So two possibilities: either I have a mix of species (Etheostoma hopkinsi probably) or he is the only male in the breeding mood (and then “parking” in the moss is just like a goby male which would wait for females in a cave).

I’ll take more photos, the fish finally is in a 20L with lights, much more fun this way. And I’m now curious how they would react to a bottom mop.

Stefan

That’s brilliant Mike! At what parameters and tank size do you keep them?

mikev
    Participant

20 gallon long, TDS=150, ph=7.1, temp is about 74F now (too high, but this is the fishroom temp, no heater). I had them for a while but only now moved them to a proper tank so I can see them. The tank also has 6 Etheostoma fricksium (Savannah darter). Not sure if I’m putting anything else in the tank yet… I was going to add some lucania fry but it is unclear if they will be hunted or not. The average size of the darters is about 5cm (females smaller, males larger, the green guy is about 5cm. ). Filtration right now is only a strong sponge filter, but the tank has a rivertank manifold in it, so I can give them good current easily.

They are still settling in so I may be wrong with my impressions… I definitely have 2nd green male (but he is only slightly green some of the time) and yesterday night it was a Savannah male parked in the moss.

oaken
    Participant

Very cool. Do you have more pictures?

mikev
    Participant

Within a few days, also of the 2nd species in the tank. Sorry, too many things lately, but I now know how to take photos of these things…. all I need is a 2nd person to hold bloodworms above the tank and this brings the fish up. :D

Matt
    Keymaster

Maybe try one of those floating plastic dispensers?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.