LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Etroplus maculatus – sexing

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Etroplus maculatus – sexing

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

I’ve been updating the profile this morning and at the moment the ‘Sexual Dimorphism’ field reads as follows:

Conflicting information exists with some examples as follows: either males or females have red pigmentation in the dorsal and anal fins; females have white stripes in the dorsal and anal fins, or white ‘glands’ on the caudal-fin; both sexes take on an orange-yellow colour pattern when breeding; only nuptial females are orange with males a greyish colour; in nuptial males the colour pattern becomes darker and more intense while in females black spots and blotches appear on the ventral portion of the body between the pelvic and anal fins; both sexes are identical.

It appears that at least some of this confusion may be attributable to phenotypic differences between wild populations.

It’s not a fish I’ve any personal experience with so it would be great if someone is able to clarify things, i.e., is the above accurate or not?

coelacanth
    Participant

I’d like to see evidence of the female posssessing glandular tissue on the caudal, otherwise I’d just amend that to white pigmentation on the distal ends of the outer rays or something.

Matt
    Keymaster

Yeah thought that sounded odd, will amend now.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.