LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

European Minnow – Phoxinus phoxinus

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes European Minnow – Phoxinus phoxinus

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  kim m 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Thomas

Hi,

A nice surprise, a few weeks ago I got a small group Phoxinus phoxinus from a small river near my hometown.
    Really nice fishes (for non cobitidae loaches Wink) and I hope I can see them next year in breeding condition!

phox_phox9.jpgphox_phox10.jpgphox_phox11.jpgphox_phox12.jpgphox_phox13.jpg

Cheers,

Thomas

Thomas

And of course the minnows aren’t all…

Bar_bar2.jpgBar_bar4.jpgBar_bar12.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

Very very nice Thomas! Did you collect the loaches as well, and how many of each do you have?

Thomas

Not collected by myself, but I’ve 4 minnows and 11 loaches, both from the same source.

Matt
    Keymaster

Do you have a special plan to keep the water cold or room temperature is sufficient?

Here are some Spanish minnows from different places. :)

Riu Besòs

P.-phoxinus-Besos.jpg

Riu Noguera Pallaresa

P.-phoxinus-Noguera-Pallaresa.jpg

Riu Llobregat

P.-phoxinus-Llobregat.jpg

Aigüestortes National Park (Riu Noguera de Tor; Segre drainage)

P.-phoxinus-Aiguestortes.jpg

Thomas

No really plans, overwintering in my cellar and hoping for the best…

The third pic is P. bigerri, rigth? I’ve seen this pic in another thread of you? Are the others also bigerri?

Two pics from the q-tank:

Bar_bar13.jpgBar_bar14.jpg

Matt
    Keymaster

They are cool – still to find Barbatula over here. :-/

Am unsure on the Phoxinus ids. Used to think that was P. bigerri as well but it seems it may not occur as far east as the Llobregat basin.

Thomas

The speed of the development of the Phoxinus male is slow, very slow. But at least there is one male!

Phoxinus5.jpg

Phoxinus7.jpg

Phoxinus8.jpg

Phoxinus9.jpg

21.02.2015 (with whirled sand…)

Phoxinus10.jpg

Cheers,

Thomas

Barb Man
    Participant

Those are very cool indeed. Is it possible to order some like Matt showed from anywhere? I think they would be a very cool addition to a native tank from the U.S. the fish probably have similar needs and the climate is almost the same depending where in Spain you’re talking about. I hear the south of Spain is just like Washington. How do you all go about collecting? I haven’t really ever tried for like an expedition but this summer I would like to look for something. Possibly Novumbra hubbsi. I still have the three spines stickle back in my back yard pond and thought he would like some company. I don’t really know what kinds of minnows there are that I could get here in the states and there are sure to be collection permits I need to look into

kim m
    Participant

Cool little fishes. Never kept them, but 200 metres from my father in laws house there is a stream where I have observed Phoxinus phoxinus. Just have to bring a net sometime :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.