LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Everyone Looks Bored

Home Forums My Aquarium Everyone Looks Bored

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Ross
    Participant

hey everyone.

i thought that everyone looked bored so i thought i would give you all another problem.

we have 2 female lighting fish in a 110l tank. with guppys, tetras, loaches and other small fishes. we have just watched 1 of the fighters attack and kill a small shrimp that was minding its own business in a plant.

The problem,
    all the male guppy tails have been nipped and 1 especially has almost lost his tail. and he was the best looking.$ do you think that the female fighters could be responcible or do you think i may be something else? i have currently isolated the female fighters into a baby net on the top of the tank and given them a good talking to about the behaviour. they are not a alowed out until they appologise to all the other fish for there behaviour

Matt
    Keymaster

Hey Ross, yes we are a bit quiet right now. Thanks for waking us up /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

dellag
    Participant

Hi Ross,
    Some loaches can be agressive as well. Do you know what type you have???

Della

Ross
    Participant

Do you think that the fighters could go into the 206l tank with the black ghost and the angel fish and tiger barbs?
    Also could the silver tip tetras go in with them?
    the fighters could also go in with the male too. What do you think………

hopefully the guppies will drop some young soon too but we are hoping that they arnt all picked off to quick. Want some of them to grow as they are such beautiful fish.

we were thinking this could have happened though because we have been feeding them frozen bloodworms daily but have ran out this weekend and cant get any until tomorrow, so they might have been looking for an extra fresh meal.

heres the pic of the male guppy. do you think that his tail will grow back or do you think that he may die from it?
    we know its only a guppy but we hate to lose any fish.

we have khuli loach eely thing. well 4 of them

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

The tails should grow back in time mate, the damage doesn’t look lasting to me. You might find that the fighters don’t compete well for food in with the tiger barbs etc. There’s also the chance that the barbs might nip their fins. Could be worth a try, though. The knife fish will almost certainly eat the tetras when it gets a bit larger though.

I doubt the lack of bloodworms has caused this, by the way. It could just be that the fighters have now settled in properly and are starting to reveal their true behaviour. Della is right about some loaches, although if they are the kuhli loaches you showed us last week, I doubt they’re to blame.

Wargh

Ross, are there any Tiger Barbs in the 110L tank? Or just ur bigger one?

Ross
    Participant

hey wargh, in the 110l tank we have,
    13 neon tetra and cardinal tetras both are mixed together so not sure how many are which species
    5 Black phantom Tetras
    4 Khuli loaches
    5 Peppered corys
    1 Baby Platy
    8 Guppies
    6 Golden barbs
    5 Zebra danios
    10 Silvertip tetras
    and some cherry shrimps but not sure how many are left.
    also 2 female fighting fish at the minute but they are going to be moved to another tank.
    also got a couple of snails

Nicolapompicola
    Participant

Might sound silly, but are you sure both of the females are actually female? It’s quite easy for a wild type (plakat) male to be mistaken for a female. This would explain why the guppies fins are getting chewed up, as the male(?) may mistake the guppy for a male betta. Sit and watch the tank to see if you can see who the culprit is.

Ruth
    Participant

hello

Matt
    Keymaster

It’s a female in my opinion Ruth.

Author
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.