LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Evolution: Accepted Articles

Home Forums Ichthyology Evolution: Accepted Articles

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Matt 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Stefan

Evolution
    Accepted Article (Accepted, unedited articles published online for future issues)

TESTING FOR DIFFERENCES IN RATES OF SPECIATION, EXTINCTION, AND MORPHOLOGICAL EVOLUTION IN FOUR TRIBES OF CICHLIDS ENDEMIC TO LAKE TANGANYIKA, EAST AFRICA

Abstract: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111…1390.x/abstract

ABSTRACT
    Patterns of morphological disparity yield important insight into the causes of diversification and adaptive radiation in East African cichlids. However, comparisons of cichlid disparity have often failed to consider the effects that differing clade ages or stochasticity may have on disparity before making interpretations.Here, a model of branching morphological evolution allows assessment of the relative contributions of differing turnover and morphological change rates, clade ages, and stochastic variation to the observed patterns of disparity in four endemic tribes of Lake Tanganyika cichlids. Simulations compare the likelihood of generating the observed disparity of the four tribes using 200 parameter combinations and four model conditioning variations, which allows inference of evolutionary rate differences among clades. The model is generally robust to model conditioning, the approach to data analysis, and model assumptions. Disparity differences among the first three cichlid tribes, Ectodini, Lamprologini, and Tropheini, can be explained entirely by stochasticity and age, whereas the fourth tribe, Cyprichromini, has likely experienced lower rates of turnover and morphological change. This rate difference is likely related to the low dietary diversity of the Cyprichromini. These results highlight the importance of considering both clade age and stochastic variation when interpreting morphological diversity and evolutionary processes.

ender2811
    Participant

Hey Stefan,
    I have a small favor to ask. Could u maybe take the time to explain to a newb what it is exactly u guys do in this part of the forum. Are u looking for papers or sharing them or just bringing them to the attention of other members?

Stefan

Sharing and bringing them to people’s attention so they can get them because they know they are there. When requests are made it’s always pointed out in the threads/posts.

ender2811
    Participant

KK, thanks.

Stefan

You’re welcome. What I’d actually like is to discuss the science here but so far no luck

ender2811
    Participant

Yea, seems like it.
    Noble effort my friend, don’t give up. Sooner or later some creationists are bound to join the forum. That should sprout up a lively debate nice and quick. Science rocks.

Graham Ramsay
    Participant

QUOTE (Stefan @ Jun 17 2011, 01:43 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    You’re welcome. What I’d actually like is to discuss the science here but so far no luck

Stefan

QUOTE (mummymonkey @ Jun 17 2011, 06:48 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    How can I read the full article Stefan? Difficult to discuss something just from the abstract.

I was talking about this forum section in general, not about this or any paper in particular.

Matt
    Keymaster

Anyone want this paper?

Incidentally, I currently use this forum mostly for getting hold of new papers and am happy with that. If we want to encourage scientific discussion we perhaps need to think about the formatting of it?

Stefan

Hmmm, yeah…discussing the science might be too far…

Matt
    Keymaster

Oh that wasn’t what I meant – just that we should maybe have separate sections for listing new papers and discussion, respectively.

Stefan

QUOTE (Matt @ Jun 19 2011, 10:53 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Oh that wasn’t what I meant – just that we should maybe have separate sections for listing new papers and discussion, respectively.

Matt
    Keymaster

Because under the current format the forum appears to be simply a list of papers and as such may not be immediately recognisable as a scientific discussion forum despite its title.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.