LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Eye-eating loaches

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Eye-eating loaches

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Patchin Curtis 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Joaoavo
    Participant

Hello everyone,

It is well known that some individuals in the loach family can start eating the eyes of other fish in the community tank. Several years ago I witnessed this with one of my YoYo loaches. Currently I keep kuhli loaches in my tank and I just took notice that one of my Boraras maculatus has a defective eye. He is a newcomer so I may have missed it in the store, but it left me wondering if one of my loaches may be the culprit. Do any of you has any information on this?

Cheers

Matt
    Keymaster

Personally I’d say that kuhlis would not be capable of this.

Joaoavo
    Participant

I guess not. I did not see any other eye missing from my fish so it probably came like that from the store. The kuhlis are such clumsy swimmers that are barely capable of catching a bloodworm while it’s falling.

Patchin Curtis
    Participant

I have 6 dwarf chain loaches (Ambastaia sidthimunki ) in a community tank with dwarf honey gouramis, blue paradise fish, and Duboulayi rainbowfish.  A magazine article had indicated that the dwarf chain loaches wouldn’t be as prone to be eye biters as their larger congeners.  However, several days ago one of the rainbowfish was missing an eye, then two days later I found it dead with both eyes missing. Now it looks like a second rainbowfish has an eye missing.

Is this a temporary phase, or do I have to remove the dwarf chain loaches to a species only tank?  This will mean that I will rehome them. They are delightful fish, but I’m not willing to expose other species to harm like this.  Sharing of experience raising these fish will be much appreciated.

mikev
    Participant

A magazine article had indicated that the dwarf chain loaches wouldn’t be as prone to be eye biters as their larger congeners.

Make a note of the article author and the magazine, they do not know what they are talking about.

They can be rather nasty (way nastier than many larger botias) and best kept in large groups in a species only tank. And incidentally, “congener” refers to organisms within the same genus…. now, exactly what are the larger members of Ambastaia they discovered? :P

Patchin Curtis
    Participant

Well, you’re right. The taxonomy is so fluid for these guys, which genus is it today might be the even better question.

Thanks for your reply. I will move them out of the tank. Very disappointing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.