LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Fantasy Fishkeeping

Home Forums The Lounge Fantasy Fishkeeping

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Bluedave 6 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

poshsouthernbird
    Participant

I wasn’t quite sure where to post this, hope this is the right section. I’ve posted it on a couple of other forums too as I’m interested in what slightly different ‘forum audiences’ will come up with, if anything.

I mean Fantasy Fishkeeping as in along the lines of Fantasy Football (if anyone remembers that). I’ve been thinking about the way the hobby has, and is, developing a lot of late for various reasons.

Let me try and put it this way; given what we know now about unsustainable fossil fuels, environmental impact, use of raw materials, disposability issues, death rates etc. – if you were asked to design something to move people around would you invent the car, powered by an internal combustion engine, fuelled by fossil fuels? Given the knowledge the ‘royal we’ has now, what would be invented instead?

It’s a bit of a one to get your mind around in some ways but … if, given what we know now about the fishkeeping hobby, you could wipe it out completely and start again, how would you want to see it develop? Or maybe I should say ‘how do you think it would develop’?

What fish would be popular? What tanks would be popular? Maybe what things are happening in the hobby now that could avoided?

There are some things that wouldn’t be different, the nitrogen cycle for example. I’m not looking for the totally impossible (no filters powered by dilithium crystals or kryptonite!), for species that don’t exist, or for your ideal set up if you won the lottery.

Think about the hobby as a whole; products, marketing, sales, public awareness, species availability, environmental issues, sustainability, the list is almost endless. If you could start it all again what would be your ideal outcome? Hope I’m managing to make a little sense here!

S

Bluedave
    Participant

Not sure about fish keeping but I do know that despite unsustainable fossil fuels, environmental impact, use of raw materials, disposability issues, death rates etc we still would have invented the car because despite all the environmental issues it bloomin works as is fairly cheap!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.