LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Feeding Sucker Fish?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Feeding Sucker Fish?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  HIGHTOWER 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

HIGHTOWER
    Participant

Got some mini sucker fish (can’t remember the real name, but there where advertised as mini sucker fish) They have a silvery/white belly, with the same on the back, but with black fleck, and a black stripe down each side.

They never seem to eat… they’re allways on ether the glass, on the plants, or on the gravel/pebles… do they source their own food there, or should I put something in for them to eat? I vaugely remember reading cucumber is good for sucker fish?

Any help appreciated, as one died the other day unexpectadly, and I don’t want the others to die, and then to find out it’s becasue they’re not getting enough food!

Matt
    Keymaster

Hi Hightower. Sounds like you’ve bought a group of one of the Otocinclus species. Have a look at this profile. Does that look anything like what you have?

These are usually imported in something of an emaciated state so I’d say yes, by all means chuck in a small piece of cucumber or courgette and see if they take it. Any of the commercially-prepared veggy based foods such as algae wafers should also be ok. Let us know how you get on and get some pics up!!

Cheers

Matt

HIGHTOWER
    Participant

Yeah, that’s the one! No wonder they where sold as “sucker fish” with a name like that! I’ll never remember that in a million years!!! /laugh.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:lol:” border=”0″ alt=”laugh.gif” />

Thanks very much for your help! I’ll grab some wafters, and see how they like cucumber!

Matt
    Keymaster

Good luck mate, try weighting down the cucumber with one of the little lead strips that come with bunched aquatic plants.

HIGHTOWER
    Participant

QUOTE(Matt @ Feb 1 2008, 08:02 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Good luck mate, try weighting down the cucmber with one of the little lead strips that come with bunched aquatic plants. /biggrin.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:D” border=”0″ alt=”biggrin.gif” />

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.