LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Few For Confirmation

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Few For Confirmation

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ndc 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Keymaster

Just need to confirm the ids for these please ladies and gents:

Paracheirodon simulans?

Copella nattereri?

Mesonauta insignis?

Sphaerichthys acrostoma?

…and this one I don’t know. Maybe a Characidium?

Attached files

Mark Duffill
    Participant

The first one looks like Paracheirodon sp.aff. simulans – the P. simulans has more red to the caudal.

I would agree with 2, 3 & 4

The last one i am torn between Characidium or Hemigrammocharax lineostriatus ?

mickthefish
    Participant

i would lean towards characidium.

mick

Matt
    Keymaster

Any ideas as to which species of Characidium Mick mate? Here’s another shot of the Paracheirodon. The thing that’s confusing me is the lack of red too.

Attached files

That last one is Characidium Fasciatum. They are sold where I live as ‘darter Tetra’ or ‘Hummingbird tetra’. I owned 1 for 3 years-I think it expired possibly from old age. My kids certainly influenced my purchase. It’s an entertaining little guy that’s always fluttering about like a ‘hummingbird.’

I thought the cichlid was mesonauta festivus ‘festivum cichlid’. Am I wrong?!

Matt
    Keymaster

Hey Urb as far as I know M. festivus is hardly (possibly never) exported for the trade. M. insignis is the one most often seen in books with the name festivus.

I’m not sure if that is C. fasciatum hence why I posted it. I think this is fasciatum but am no expert:

Attached files

Yep, that one looks like a Juv. Fasciatum like when I bought mine from a LFS. However, mine grew to just under 3 inches. There’s a place AZ gardens that has posted a pic of a ‘fasciatum’ but it looks nothing like one. The fish is not one for color-it’s mostly greyish pale with bars.

I was unaware of the cichlid confusion from insignus VS festivus. Damn, I have to start buying some newer more modern reads

Matt
    Keymaster

Do you think pic #5 is an adult then Urb?

QUOTE (Matt @ Nov 19 2008, 03:28 PM) < {POST_SNAPBACK}>
    Do you think pic #5 is an adult then Urb?

My fish looked exactly like the fish in your 5th pic. Mine had a greenish operculum just like that. It’s funny they can change their markings from vertical bars to more of a single horizontal stripe.

-Urb

ndc
    Participant

definately characidium, most likely fasciatum – i only say most likely as im on my works computer and it wasnt built for graphics so pics arent particularly clear. you dont see many pics of them like that – free swimming , they tend to be photographed like urbs one – sitting on the bottom – nose up.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.