LOGIN

RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube
GLOSSARY       

SEARCHGLOSSARY

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

PROFILESEARCH

Fin Chewed Off?

Home Forums Fresh and Brackish Water Fishes Fin Chewed Off?

This topic contains 60 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Sofia 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author

Sofia

Hi there,

I just noticed that a) my pregnant Platies aren’t pregnant anymore, but that’s the least of my worries.

One had been in hiding since yesterday evening and I only saw her about 10 minutes ago.
    As you can see in the pictures (hopefully) her caudal fin is ‘chewed’ off.
    She is very panicky and fled all the other fish, so I tokk her and placed her in the breeding trap where she is still very panicky, but I think better off, as it’s easy to pick on an ill fish.

Please tell me if there is anything I can do for her. Would she prefer darkness now? And also, any ideas what or who caused the loss of the fin?
    Could she have swam into the heater? It’s obviousl;y warmer now, or is it another fish?

Thanks and sorry, I wish I was more successful with my fish

Attached files

Matt
    Keymaster

Good grief that looks nasty! Given the fish you have the only culprits I can think of are the rams, but I’ve never seen a ram inflict a bite like that. Perhaps the platy got stuck behind the filter or something? Keep a lookout for fungus developing. Provided you can avoid that I’d say the fin ought to grow back.

Ps – would you mind resizing your pics a bit and then reposting them? Thanks.

Eyrie
    Participant

The fin will grow back, but you can help by keeping the water tip-top with frequent changes and adding Melafix. Not sure about the cause, but I’d suspect fin-nipping by one of the other inhabitants.

PS: Don’t apologise – everyone has problems from time to time, the important thing is to recognise and fix them.

Sofia

I will get melafix asap. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Do you think I should keep her in the breeding trap till she settles down a bit?

Matt
    Keymaster

Yes, I would do for the next couple of days at least. Throw a bit of plant material or something in there to give the fish some cover. That should help to calm it down.

Eyrie’s right by the way, never apologise for or be embarassed about asking questions on the forum. We’ve all made some horrendous mistakes keeping fish. Luckily we’re starting to see a few experienced fishkeepers on here who can help you (and each other) out. The good thing is you ARE asking Sofia. If you really want your fish to thrive (and it seems you do) they will eventually and you’ll be amazed you ever had so many problems.

keith565
    Participant

this is probably fin rot caused by a nasty nip or other damage.
    melafix is also my suggestion to. it’s great stuff to have a round, get the biggest bottle you can afford as it comes in really useful.
    i would do as said and leave her in the reap for several days to give the tail a chance to start healing. fingers crossed it will grow back.
    i echo the thoughts of the other guys, don’t be embarrassed about asking. with over 30 years of fish keeping i still have to ask, and often.

Sofia

It only appeared over night. And teh Ram has been very aggressive. I don’t know what I’ll do with him, but he has been chasing all the fish around. I guess Matt is right and the Platy must have got stuck somewhere.

I might go to get Melafix tomorrow now, as I am more worried.

The fish has calmed down in it’s breeding trap, so phew

keith565
    Participant

it’s strange behavior for a ram in a community tank, personally I’ve not come across it. are you sure they haven’t spawned.i know they look like 2 males but you never know.

Sofia

Well, I don’t know. How would i know if they had done?

He never behaved like that before, but has been doing for about a week now.

I also can’t find the fry from the two Platies and assume they might not have made it, although michael thinks he saw a tiny fish swim past yesterday morning

keith565
    Participant

all i can think of is a territorial thing, but I’ve just read about his demise, so unfortunately problem solved.

Sofia

Ok, the Ram is in solidary confinement, so he is not the naughty fish after all.

Just saw a Guppy that has/had a chewed off fin as well. He seemed in a bad state and after watching him for some time he did indeed die /smile.gif” style=”vertical-align:middle” emoid=”:)” border=”0″ alt=”smile.gif” />

dunc
    Keymaster

I’m curious at to whether or not this is actually another fish’s doing. I don’t see any fishes in your tank which could even be capable of biting a Platy’s entire caudal fin off..

Sofia

You think i ahve a fungus or so? It is going so fast. Within a few hours. I have also a few little annoying snails, but doubt they’d be to blame

Matt
    Keymaster

Can you take a picture of the filter you’re using please Sofia?

Sofia

I tried getting pictures, but I am rubbish and the glass is reflecting. Here are however the Tetra official images
    http://uk.tetra.de/tetra/go/F9663E2D7E96C0…F5B/?lang_id=20

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.